Wednesday, April 1, 2020

12,689. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,011

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,011
(pan-de-monium)
The body compensates for
hurt and injury, maybe even
for loss too, by letting a person
forget. A quite simple 'forget.'
Within two years I was once
more functioning as if nothing
had ever happened. The greater
swill-bucket of life took over and
I carried on with all my kid stuff;
which ran from baseball to Boy
Scouts to camps and swimming.
My mind was NOT bringing me
back to that point of impact, it
seemed, ever. No nightmares;
no dreams or re-tellings about
it. Nothing at all. Whatever I
was that had replaced it, none
of it was ever present again.
So much for that.
-
Hell, so much for everything,
these days. I sit here writing this
as I pretty much watch or at
least witness everything around
me crumbling. Talk about a John
Kennedy 'New Frontier  -   boy
this wreck of a country's now 
in it and deep.  I don't know what
we'll have left when all this is
over, if any tattered remnants
will still be salvageable. I don't 
even know if maybe I myself
might just die after a period. 
For us oldsters, this all just
sort of puts in on the dotted
line; awaiting our signature, 
if you will. 'Bury me in my 
shades, boys; bury me in my
shades,' as Shel Silverstein
once sang. Most people will
just have to re-define themselves
and reformulate their new
equations. On their own  -  
which is the problem, because 
they aren't going to have the
resources of any of 'their own' 
with which to do it; my Mama said
stupid is as stupid does. So once 
more they'll just follow along. 
Nose ring, please.
-
I never, ever, thought  -  had 
I even the resources then to 
have seen this particular future  -  
that we'd end up here. I always
expected a descent into mayhem,
yes, but for far different reasons.
From my own point of view we've
always been doomed anyway,
mostly because of plain old
materialism. A mad, secular
materialism, in fact, upon which
this large, cranking and false
edifice of high ideals and rational
forms of thinking that comprises
the American 'Republic' was
built. Merchants and profit. Once
into New York City, in 1967, 
I was in the middle of all that.
I could see the daily madness :
trucks and handcarts, trading,
selling, and manufacture of goods
and product, the entire industry
of service and needs. There were
people flinging; mad rushes of
Broadway crowds, the shopping
and the getting. Each part of
the daytime city had its own
specialty  -  nuts and bolts,
hardware, electronics, fashions,
leathers, autos, and, on both sides
too, food. Mostly the east side was
fish-trade stuff, and the west side
was food, fruits, and vegetables.
Meats and slaughter and cuts had
their own meatpacking district.
Carcasses and flanks, hanging
on motorized chains, outside
of at last 20 and more packing
operations, refrigerated trucks,
refrigerated rooms where meat
hung. The freshly delivered stuff,
still looking like whole cows and
steers, sheep, goats, and the rest,
hung, freshly slaughtered from 
those chain lifts I just mentioned.
There would butcher and trimmer
guys, wielding saw, cleavers, power
cutters, and machetes, cutting the
carcasses apart, right outside, in
broad daylight, flies and the rest.
Open-air meat preparation, for the
butcher-shops, grocers, and stores
everywhere. Trucks and carts hauling
stuff every which way. It was fast
and furious, and busy with red blood
too, running down, wherever.  I
guess it was never live blood, just
the usual run-off. The famous
Gansevoort, and Washington, 
Markets, along the westside, would
back up with carters and haulers.
Stacks of vegetables, fresh produce,
all sorts of everything categorized
as food, was to be found. Whenever
I got bored there, over on the east
side the same show went on, but 
with fish, and boats. Guys off-loading
entire catches; writhing or not, fish,
large, small, eels, oysters, it was all
there. And still quite primitive too.
Slippery wet, everything always
getting hosed down. The fish side
always bothered me even more than 
the meat side (west) because of the
way these guys just flung the fish
around. There'd be like 8 or 12
pound fish (just guessing), still
whole, and these expert guys knew
how to, in some underhand way,
to heave the fish to another guy, 15
or 20 feet away (guessing again),
perfect catch each time. Coming off
the boats, some, I'd say, of the
fish were still alive  -  that vacant
yet sorrowful fish-eye stare thing,
with an occasional fin flutter, or
mouth-gape movement. It was
sad, to me anyway. Maybe to lots
of others too, for there were
numerous dock-front bars around
and most often they had fish-guys,
on break or whatever, just 'glumming'
around, staring out from a bench or 
a table, with a beer. In a bar, open or
not, when you're seated at the bar
you're facing away from the street.
But in these places, no one really 
sat at the bar itself; they drank, 
while seated, facing back to the 
sea, the water and the business 
at hand. Weird. 
-
Not everyone was glum. There
were some, usual, loudmouth types,
hardy-har guffaws, backslapping
boonhomie, and just plain drunk
too. But they got their work done,
and booze went with it. Not too
many ladies around, and God help
those who might have been. A
hundred years before, most of
these small-building waterfront
places were sailor-lodgings, dog
fighting bits, betting parlors, rope
and twine shops, grog shops, bars, 
inns and whore-houses. I can't even
skimp on saying that, so, ladies,
I already apologize but there it 
went. You can look it up. All that 
stuff was wrecked, most of it
destroyed, to make the South 
Street Seaport. A mad-man scalp
of falsity if I ever saw one. As
inauthentic as an henna tattoo.
All done up to show you how it
was (NOT) back then. Those
effete hipster cats wouldn't 
have the guts to wake up in 
the morning there.
-
These are the same sorts ow,
worrying about their supplies
of Handi-Wipes and toilet paper.
Probably more their speed anyhow.
Fifty years as the point I just wrote
about, the world's a real dungheap.
Just like the Bubonic days, people
dropping like flies. Now they're thrown
into refrigerated storage trucks. They
used to be left along roadways and
paths, for the wolves and foxes and,
what, hyeneas? At least with the
Bubonic Plague you got lesions and
bumps, things that were visible marks
that you were doomed. Most people
in about 6 hours. Once they got the
breakout. Could you imagine that
now! They guy in the toilet paper
checkout line, waiting long
enough so that others start to see
his spreading lesions and 'bubous.'
Pan-de-monium. Sounds like
one of today's fast-food 
take-out (only) places.



No comments: