Thursday, April 30, 2020

12,778. I'LL BE WRITING HOME NOW

I'LL BE WRITING 
HOME NOW
Dear Mother and Father : Before
I drown (this ship is sinking now
and I've nowhere to go. I am last
left alive, and only salt-water is
left), you should know what a
beautiful blue the sky is, an
azure of something like Greece.
The dark, velvet black of the
night comes close. Perhaps. Yet,
too many stars then spoil the
dark. This is somehow a daytime
difference. I am nauseous again,
and apt to vomit on this ledger.
But. What is it for anyway? I am
such a fool. It will sink with me,
and, as only paper and cardboard,
the water shall have its spite with
that too. No one shall ever see what
I am putting here. Least you both.
Let it not be said I have not tried.
-
I remember many things : Your 
faces, your smiles, your funny 
doings. As I was young, before I 
set sail to this miserable ending. 
Perhaps you can overlook my 
own faults as, in memory, I
gloss over so much of yours, 
as I see them now, from the 
'now,' as it is, for good or for
bad. I grimace as I write this;
my leg is very swollen. I think
it may be broken. A terrible
blow hit me, unseen, in the
roiling turn of storm, before
the day before the last.
-
Let it not be said
I have not tried.

No comments: