Saturday, April 18, 2020

12,742. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1029

RUDIMENTS, pt.  1029
(spreading foundational myths)
I always figured to be learning,
as much as I could, just sopping
up information, because I always
found that it eventually comes
back out as something else  -  or
it did for me anyway, A further
story or development, some sort
of writing, etc. So even in my
darkest moments I was always
driving myself on to some new
bit of this or that. That left me
fairly wide open in all my travels
around, to see all sorts of other
environments. One thing I
noticed immediately was how
most people, or kids of my
age anyway, so willingly dove
from 12 years of a very pedestrian
high-school-completed 'learning,'
right into another four years of
perhaps less pedestrian but little
less stupid, 'college.' And then
they claimed they were educated
and finished, with a title and
a specialty about something that
would tie them down for another
50 years. The recompense being?
Money, home, family and goods.
That all may be well enough, but
it's not 'Education,' in the same
way being a 'priest' is not religion,
except for the noose around your
neck; one being a priest-collar,
and the other being a secular
niche, a career, and its payback.
That was too limiting for me.
-
One time I read a book  -  this
was back in the seminary days  -
and it was an odd little title I'd
found on the seminary library
shelf; I never could fathom why.
It was titled 'Britain in the Sixties.'
The 1960's it meant, and that
decade had just barely started
at the time I located the book.
It was boring as all get out and
nearly impossible to read unless
you were way into production
levels and diagrams and codes
of National Distributions and
products and shifting populations
and all that. It was great stuff
for anyone with ideas of a
future career as a diplomat
or an economist or maybe
even a British Lord, but we
were, at this point supposed to
be setting out to be priests. In
my own hoped for case, an
African bush-country missionary
priest. (Nothing to do, by the
way, with the otherwise famed
'missionary position'). Take note.
-
So I started studying, instead,
little bits of 'Africa' as best I
could; it still in so many was
often uncharted, except for
when and where it could be
exploited. That always came
first. It wouldn't be too long,
maybe a decade or two after
this, that pace of human
development was destroying
Africa and, as much as possible,
de-rationating its new classes
of 'people.' Making cities and
places which had never existed
before, nor been thought of or
needed, either. And all that
was then; by now it's much
worse, and deadly, all  -
humans, by 2050, are expected
to have forced more than a
million species into extinction,
and filled the oceans with a
greater mass of plastic than
there is of fish. In Africa, the
arrival of mobile phones (and
I guess this is a good thing),
allowed the networks to be
constructed without expensive
landlines, which means also
the onerous work of poles
and wiring. That's kind of
a switch. (no pun). A new
landscape with nothing
on it? People there were
being re-structured and, as
I said, being placed into
'classes' of population they
never even knew existed.
-
Most of the roads in Africa
were built by colonial powers,
for the extraction and transport
of natural resorces, so they
connect villages to capitals,
and capitals to ports, and
hardly take in account any
of the desires of a community
to travel or trade over the
next hill. Only half of the
population live within a
mile of a functional road.
In the present day, what that
means is that deliveries of
blood to rural healthcenters,
say, are slow and unreliable.
Refrigerated medicines go
bad before they arrive.
(What's happening there
now is a bold new future
of drones, delivery by, and
'droneports,' where large
cargo drones ban be loaded,
charged, launched, and
repaired! Plans are underway
for mapped-out, 50 mile drone
routes (and 'flying robots')
to connect populated but
remote areas in Rwanda,
Uganda, and Tanzania.
Plasma, vaccines, urgent
medicines, crucial documents,
and exchanges between mines,
government offices, oil and gas
installations, ranches and
conservancies. Quite a
different world indeed,
being envisaged. Britain
is the Sixties, looking barely
forward then, is here replaced
by 'Africa in the Forties,' 2040's.
A mere two decades hence, at
best. If we survive.
-
Tanganyika was where I'd had
my sights set on being; some
dumb imperialist-kid thinking
crap about trading life for Jesus
by bringing that word and teaching
to some far-off bunch of natives,
not so unlike the colonials here
in America and their ideas of
converting those heathen savages.
None of that worked out real well
here either, unless you were an
alcohol salesman on a reservation.
It's a funny thing how people think
only their way is the proper way,
for everyone else too. Propogating
one set if gibberish to replace the
other isn't ever enough though. The
older ways of these Africans and
natives also has to get belittled and
destroyed  - Nature Gods, spirits of
the hills, transformational magics,
etc. All the thigs they've develped
and lived by  for a thousand years
running out of their Olduvai Gorge
cultures and all that. What does
the Westerner do? Comes in and
ties them down, shackles them to
production and product, mining
and enslavement, all so a stupid
book like 'Britain In the Sixties'
cam make its forecast. Note: they
left out th Beatles and the British
Invasion, from Carnaby Street to
Lucian Freud and David Hockney,
(artists).
-
The Russkies came in, as Soviets 
then, and shut down Tanganyika 
for good, (for God as well), for
a while anyway, and then, with
Zanzibar, the two places became
Tanzania. I was out of that loop by
then, but any kiddie-boy ideas I'd 
had of going there for the rest of
my life far out in the bushman's
paradise I was (evidently) intent
on ruining with Western ideas of
religion, was over. I little thought  
of it again, actually, any of this 
'spreading foundational myths' 
stuff, as I assimilated myself
back into this 'American' culture,
which ended me up where it did,
and in all my goofy places.

No comments: