Monday, April 20, 2020

12,746. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,030

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,030
(I should be getting over all that)
I was always pretty vulnerable;
some'd  say weak, or too sensitive.
not too much of that ever factored
into my everyday life; I ended
up doing what I wanted anyway,
but a lot of the time it was in
a pained way. Again, there was
always something of a 'waiting
for the other shoe to drop' feel
to most of my hours. Even now,
just peering into a mailbox to
see what's arrived freaks me.
That's not to say I didn't enjoy
some things. There were times. I
had a friend over along Tompkins
Square Park who had a nice,
ground-level apartment, right
over near the Peace Eye Bookstore,
and some Buddhist or Zen place
was there too. Peace Eye was a
cool place, Ed Sanders, I think,
was the owner, maybe with
Allen Ginsberg too. I'm not
sure, but they were around
often enough. Two things
about this friend and his place:
His name was Todd, and I'd never
known a Todd before and to me it
seemed a California name. I
never knew why, but it conjured
up a Beach Boy feel or idea.
That was the complete opposite,
of course, of a New York feel,
which was all grit, and soil.
The pure opposite of the Beach
Boys' sound, in fact would
have had to be the music of
the Fugs, which was a band Ed
Sanders and some other guy,
Tuli, were running. Kupferberg
was the last name, as I remember.
They were drawn and jagged, the
music was pretty foul, and they
drove it home with lots of very
weird hippie titles. 'After We Ball,
I Hope That Won't Be All,' for
instance. Where do you go with
stuff like that? Todd, on the other
hand, was just a regular, happy
kind of nice guy. East Village
student stuff. I'm not sure what
he was studying or anything, but
he was always going on about
Milton, Rilke, Heinrich Heine.
What little I knew I just went
along with. What was cool about
his whole scene, and to me what
represented his having 'made' it,
was the fact of his nice apartment
being ground floor. I know it
probably doesn't sound like much,
or anything special, but it used to
fascinate me. Just the fact of
being at 'ground' level, as people
walked by and with the view out the
window being right there with
what people saw, walking along,
or what you yourself entered to
as you stepped out, that alone was
striking. None of those dirtied
stairways, stinking halls, etc. It
bespoke success. Somehow. Todd
didn't know that of course; it was
all in my reading of it. I had another
friend later, with a studio apartment,
just a long, narrow, white-painted,
long room, up in the w8os, and that
was a few steps down, by contrast.
It too was cool, but the people
passing by outside  -  which too
was a little disconcerting, were
like head high to you. It was eerie
because it felt dream-like, with
people's feet going by as they
were unawares of you. A really
different view of the world.
Maybe like being in a WWI
foxhole, but no one had bullets or
guns or anything flying around.
Mostly it was silence, and that
was crazy too.
-
These were all the kinds of
things I used to notice, and,
like I mentioned, they weren't
the sorts of things you could
bring up to others and begin
talking about. How to get any
of that across, mainly to others
who wouldn't really have cared
about that, was difficult. It
would be like, when a cop pulls
you over, and then says 'Do
you know why I pulled you
over?' (that in itself is always
pretty weird, and about the
dumbest cop thing I've ever
had to hear), and you start
saying, 'Yes, because of the
time/space factors within the
velocity theory of an ovoid
Einsteinian elliptical osmosis
working in parallel to the
resistance force of one Ohm.'
And the cop shrugs and just
says, 'Oh, OK then; don't
do it again; I'll let you go
this time.'
-
The actual occurrence of any
happening like that would have
been enough to destroy my peace
of mind, in line with that earlier
vulnerability I mentioned. But.
back to Todd. On the other
corner from him, 10 or 15
buildings down, and PAST the
Peace Eye bookstore headed
west, was the Psychedelicatessan.
I never got the spelling of it
right, and it wasn't in any was
a delicatessant in the NY meats
and bagels sense. It as sort of a
strange, often black-lit hippie
storefront, with spacey music
and weird people, and weirder
girls than that, which was just a
few open, empty rooms, with a
few things to be sitting on, while
you were tripping. Yep. LSD
and the neural-valve lower-level
spectrum of the 1967 pharmaceutical
industry. I think there sometimes
was sex going on too, judging from
the girls I'd see. There's a book
somewhere, a terrible, badly-written
book, by Ed Sanders, somewhere,
about all this, if you can call it that
(I just called it this, so whatever),
called 'Tales of Beatnik Glory.'
I shouldn't say badly written.
It gets the job done, but it's not
really in any way memorable  -
which is, or should be, the point
of writing. If you read something
and two days, or even two years,
later you can remember nothing
about it, something's wrong. For
this book, these years later, all I
really remember is how he goes on
and on about some secret-recipe
beatnik soup or gruel that was 
always being cooked to feed 
everyone with, for free.
-
The Kupferberg stuff is, at the
least, a little more vivid. Zany
and off the wall, too, but that's
how it went back then. Hell,
back then people still shifted
their own cars; now you've got
little punk Mexicali kids driving
90 in their automatic Imprezas,
or whatever those little shit cars
are called. You someone just
the other day told me that today
makes a small car called a Yaris.
I see them around. He then said
that no one knows it but that 
means 'Vagina' in Japanese. I
know, it can't be true, but he
told me. That same guy always
calls me a hillbilly, and he makes
moonshine too, in his basement,
and gives me some; two different
kinds. I'm not so much, really,
for either, but I get by. He saw
me today, just as usual, after about
5 days, and first thing out of his
mouth was, 'You look like you're
going to a funeral? Someone die?'
I had no idea what he was talking
about, because I looked just as I 
always do. And that never changes
much. Kind of shocked me. I
figured he must have really good
psychic radar, in addition to being
my personal moonshiner. He said,
another time, I looked like John
Belushi, to him. I don't look
anything like John Belushi, so
I don't know where that came 
from. Everything gets so weird.
 He said to me once, 'What are
you, a hillbilly, or an old hippie?
I tell my friends about you, and
I never know what to say you are.'
That too was pretty crazy. I just
said, 'Like Popeye said, I yam
what I yam.' He laughed. But
now he calls me Popeye.
-
I figure, if I was so vulnerable,
all that should have hurt, or
made me feel bad. But it
didn't. Maybe I'm finally
getting over all that.



No comments: