Saturday, April 4, 2020

12,702. RUDIMENTS, pt. 10,014

RUDIMENTS, pt. 10,014
(can we get back to the game...)
All my life people kept telling
me where I was born. It wasn't
the same place as where I grew
up. I wanted to prove them
wrong. That stuff was all
immaterial to me, and where I
was born, anyway, was a place
they'd never see. It seemed
often enough that it took me
a million years to get from there
to here. But time's an illusion
too. It's a click we count. Or a
count we click, maybe. I wanted
to run my course. But I was a
weak person sometimes. With
all the things I was told and
taught, most of it being so
gimcrackery wrong, I should
have just stood up and said
'Enough!' and maybe that
would have been it. But what's
a kid do  -  he or she has to sit
there and take it, one piece at a
time, always.  Teachers, schools,
parents, aunts and uncles, all
the rest. There was a weird
kid up the block, when I was
9 or 10, named Michael. He
would, a few times, get us
street-kids together, if we
were outside playing football
or something, pole-to pole,
he'd gather us up and start
going on to us about sex, and
what our parents did, and all
that. He was maybe 3 or 4 years
older than us, probably 14 or
so by then already. What did
we know, and, frankly, we little
cared either. It was always a
big deal to him; meant little to
us. A person has to reach a
point, a threshold of maturity
or something, before that stuff
matters. It too 'clicks in,' like
time. Michael had an audience,
but we were never a good
audience. It was more like,
'Yeah, OK...Can we get back
to the game now?'
-
A lot of the things I did were
one of a kind, the sorts of things
I'd get into probably only
because of my own personal
proclivities. Like stamp collecting;
that only started because my aunt
in Fort Lee corresponded on that
cool, light blue airmail letter
kind of paper they used to have,
with some family members
in Italy. It folded up, when
you were finished writing it,
into its own envelope, with
the airmail markings and all
already on it and in place.
She, in turn, got them as they
were sent to her, and I'd see
them in her letter tray with all
those Italian stamps on them.
And another aunt of mine
had letters sometimes around
from Germany, with those
stamps on them; German stamps.
That stuff all fascinated me.
As it turned out, stamp
collecting was all an entire
mini-industry unto itself, and
and there were a hundred ways
to get going with it  -  comic
books, and Bazooka Joe gum,
and Scouting magazines, they
all had ads and offers for, say,
sending ten cents or a quarter
and getting a zillion stamps
back. I did lots of that, even
though often they duplicated
each other. There were companies
too, like Littleton Stamp Company,
in New Hampshire, that always
were sending stamps 'On Approval,'
once they got your name and
address from these other offers.
I got lots of that too; what you
didn't want you could send
back. They also had collector
books, mounting kids, pricing
catalogues, stamp hinges (that's
the sticky things by which
you put them into the albums).
A person could specialize too.
International only, or by country
or continent, domestic, or
theme. I had them all. They
always also sent these weird
testimonial things about stamp
collecting. They were bogus,
but whatever: Franklin Roosevelt,
about his love of stamp collecting
and how it taught him so much.
Dwight Eisenhower; same stuff.
Winston Churchill; even Charles
Darwin had one. They were too
goofy for my blood. All these
high and mighties pretending to
be humble and going on about
their stamp collecting habits.
It was nuts. I expected Mickey
Mantle or Yogi Berra to be
going on about it too, in their
Yankee uniforms. Except they
were both pretty much real
Sluggos, so it wouldn't be
much of a testimonial. Here's
Yogi Berra: 'Well, uh, every
time I cross the plate I stamp
my feet? Is that what you mean?'
-
After that I used to make stuff
up -  like Hitler going on
about killing people and how
it taught him so much; or Stalin,
about eradicating Kulaks and
how he learned so much from
instituting the 'pograms' to kill
minorities. All I am I owe to
stamp collecting. Funny thing
about all that too; it used to
be that you could walk down
Nassau Street, in the Financial
District in NYC, and pass 10 or
12 serious stamp collection shops,
for the hobbyist or the buyer or
the seller. Coin collectors too,
for they often went together.
Someone was often trying to get
their dead Grandpa's collection
appraised, or traded in for a
cash value, etc. It could be, back
then, worth some money, or
some real surprises too, rarities
and all. You could look at all
the stamps for sale, in the
counters, behind glass, etc.
Oftentimes there'd be weird
countries you hardly knew of,
or principalities or kingdoms.
Sometimes, the less-known
the place, the more they had
specialized stamps  -  the
Kingdom of Baltorino, some
dumb island somewhere, with
its large, oversized automobile
stamps, or Lower East Patagonia
or something, with only horse
stamps. The Emirate of Wahoohoo,
with oil-well stamps. Crazy.
A few years back, well, maybe
20, I went into one of those, with
some Nazi-era German stamps
I had, or Wiemar and then Nazi.
Inflation was so bad then, they'd
take stamp-sheets back and
overprint them with new prices
or values. 20,000 Deutchesmarks,
or whatever it was, then 30,000,
then 40,000. Overprints, they
were called. I have 20 or so of
them still. The guy said it was
all worthless, the stamp industry
was dead. Computer and Internet
and email and all, according to
him anyway, had pulled the
floor out from under the stamp
market, forever. No one anymore
even cared about that stuff.
I myself thought he was full of
crap, either not wanting to
bother with me or undercutting
any value so he wouldn't have to
give me but 5 bucks for the
whole mess. I told him to shove
off, and if that was the case I'd
just keep them. But, he made
no counter offer, so I guess he
meant it; except I couldn't
figure then why he'd stay in
business.
-
You see, that was one of the
things then that were mine
alone, sort of an isolated and
solitary pursuit. When your best
friend is a magnifying glass,
you know you're in trouble.
(That's not a joke, Mike. Can
we just get back to the game?)...





No comments: