Wednesday, April 8, 2020

12,712. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,018

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,018
(crazy stir crazy stuff)
Each time I sit down to write
one of these chapters, I think
to myself 'I wonder what my
readers would like to read
now?' Not that I have a bunch;
maybe 20? It's more a conceit
to get me going, push me along.
Everything's got me scared
and crazy now anyway, so I
can pretty much write about
anything and lose control no
matter. Always weird things
throw me. Going back to that
'maybe 20?' comment, that
really sucks, considering all
the work that goes on getting
all this together. But, these
days, there's little else to do
anyway. Lots of life sentences
are running out. Those people
get free'd, and we still mourn.
I wonder how come. Normal
folk don't have to answer that;
only religious zealots. Maybe
that's a whole fan base I should
be working on.
-
The crazies have maybe set in.
See how that line works? When
I approached it, I thought, 'is
that too glib; fanciful, trite?'
But it appealed to me nonetheless,
so I left it. Crazies running into
maybe, like a head onto a pillow.
Like a saddle onto a horse?
Like a carpet over a floor?
Like a new coating on an old
road, sliding right over it. The
cheap way. Without first gouging
and scouring out the old road.
There's a precise name for that
process, which I forget right now.
You see, now let me tell you, when
I was a younger man that never
happened. I had command and I
remembered each word. No more.
I'd forget my name if it weren't
attached to me. I wonder, should
that be 'weren't' or 'wasn't'? It's
a funny place for a word, sort of
in-between of singular and plural,
AND, past and present too! I
wonder how often that occurs?
-
I remember once a horse-shoeing
guy, on the east side, maybe w17th,
way over, when it used to be all
garages and work-places and
sheds there. You could find most
anything. Except maybe umbrella
repair. I don't think there were any
umbrella repairmen. You laugh;
but I'm serious. NYC's a huge
umbrella town, and I never knew
why. Sidewalk guys, shoe-repair
shops, those watch battery/belts,
ties and show-shine joints, they
all also used to sell AND FIX
umbrellas! That used to freak
me too  -  what's a stupid
umbrella. Back then you could
buy one most anywhere for a
buck and a quarter. I just too
remembered the word for that
gouging of the road for new
paving. It's called 'milling.'
When they 'mill' a road first,
then you know it's a serious
re-paving. They actually lower
the road, by maybe the two
inches of the old paving they
scour away. Have to. Otherwise
by now the roads would be
high up, higher than the curbs
for sure. Wouldn't that be neat.
'Hey! Look down that crevice;
I wonder what that is.' ('That?
That's the curb, silly.')...
-
Anyhow, if they don't mill
it, and just throw the new
paving down, it's really more
like patching : 'Assignment,
Road Crew: Today we'll be
patching Finderne Road.'
(Down by the mill?)....
-
When I was saying everything
worries me now, and gets me
down, a good example would
be my dog. Now she's a good
old dog, best I ever had or saw.
But she's getting old, and slowed
down a lot, and way more
deliberate. I never need to
worry anymore about her
charging out after something
or into traffic. She doesn't
have the kind of energy any
more. What really gets me
down, like every day at some
point when I'm with her and I
notice the changes, is the idea
that she'll be passing on soon
enough. I'm not prepared, and
not sure how I'll face all that.
I get sad just thinking it. It's a
new unknown to me, and then
today, with all this virus crap,
I read a long article about how
veterinarians are all sad with
all the dogs dying, in their care,
and the owners can't come in
to see them (?) they have to
drop them off remotely, outside
the glass, and how it's heart
wrenching and how dogs are
dying too because at present
even the veterinarian respirators
have been commandeered for
sick-human use. It told of
how veterinarians are driving
home now, at the end of their
shifts, in tears over what had
transpired during that shift.
Yeah. If Sam gets sick now, I
hope she'll just die or something
in her sleep. Or not wake up. It's
really all I can deal with. I'm
like a fragile, stupid, little and
dumb, teacup here. And there's
little left. And I don't know
what I can do. Tip me over,
and pour me out.
-
The horseshoeing guy I mentioned,
he was named Jakob Ketz. That's a
real Jewish, as it always is when
you see 'Jakob' spelled with a
K. Instead of a C. At first I was
baffled by why a Jewish guy
would be just a horse-shoe guy.
It seemed unlike the normal
New York Jewish person, who was
usually some high-professional,
a doctor or a psychologist or a
shrink or some scholar or futzy
professor, or some crazy religious,
Talmudic guy. They had female
rabbis, but I still use 'guy.' I
figured the Ketz thing was a
shortened version of something
else. Ketzstein or Ketzberg;
and then later, when I learned a
little more (there were curious,
old Jewish movies abut all this
too, if that's what one wished
to learn from  -  'Lies  My Father
Told Me,' which was about an
old rag-picker guy, a grandpa,
and his grandson, in old Jewish
Toronto. And of course there
was always 'Fiddler On the Roof,'
and 'The Apprenticeship of
Dudy Kravitz.' They were each
good, in their own way). He was
more representative of the old
line, Ukrainian Jew than I'd
ever realized. They were poor,
men and women of the Earth;
farming, horses, oxen, plows,
blacksmithing, metal working,
and the rest, were actually very
natural to their everyday
conditions. So I had it wrong,
and Ketz had it right.
-
And then, later, about 1972
a great book was published,
called 'World Of Our Fathers,'
by Irving Howe. Boy, that 
book rattled me too; a precise
summation of all that had 
gone before; the immigrant 
experience, old NYC, the
old country, and the Jewish
experience. New York, in
retrospect, was about the most
intense Jewish experience I'd
ever experienced. I used to go to
Williamsburg  -  the Brooklyn one,
not 'Colonial Williamsburg, in 
Virginia or wherever that is  -   too,
just to look at the stores selling
all those hats and clothes that
were worn by the Hasids and
the Orthodox. And they had,
as well, as these odd and weird,
streetside, restaurants and cafes.
Dairy, or not. Mostly not; which
just meant black coffee to me,
unless I wanted to put that
ridiculous, fake-chemical-milk
powder, they had. Cremora, I
think it was; something like
that. Yuck. The whole thing was
just a nice, long walk across the
Williamsburg Bridge, instead of the
Brooklyn Bridge, which most people 
walked. I always liked the Williamsburg
one because of all the cool metal and
steel and the train-cars of the 'subway'
as they went by. Pretty cool being 200
or whatever feet above the water, and
having a 'SUBway' train come rolling
by you, in the sky sort of. Wasn't 
anything  'subway' about that. In
fact, it was just plain crazy. So, I'm
done here, for this chapter, with one
sort of 'crazy' from lockdown.
Hope you liked it.






No comments: