Sunday, April 12, 2020

12,725. WHO DROVE THE RIVER TO THE BANK?

WHO DROVE THE RIVER 
TO THE BANK?
I wonder, but how should I know? I'm busy
trying to drive the causeway myself. On
either side of me now are dealers of junk
or scrap metal. People drive in with their
truckloads of scrap, get weighed and then
off-loaded, and get weighed again empty,
and then get paid for their metal brought
in. Empty trucks again. I've seen everything
from truck bodies to washing machines to
swing sets to trains. Really. Trains. Four
train cars, one crashed up, that came in
along the nearby track, got quickly rigged
off, dumped on their sides, and stayed
there for at least two years! I have pictures
if you don't believe me.
-
It's a gutsy mess, this way of life : All
this crap flowing into the ground water.
NJ Transit rolling by, Route One on the
hill up ahead. Auto junkyards and things
in heaps. There's even a hot-sheet motel
right there at the corner. I wonder still:
Who drove the river to the river bank?

No comments: