Friday, April 24, 2020

12,758. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,034

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,034
(save me a seat then, ok?)
It has always been, for me,
as if I get pictures. From my
mind, they are produced in
response to most anything.
It's a little strange, and I
can never truly clarify or
vouch for them, or their
truthfulness or perhaps
just the way they 'suggest'
things. I later find out, but
acclaiming the original
image is difficult because
I can never really put them
side by side  -  one being,
of course, image, and the
other, real. And there have
been other times when I've
been able to, and the results
were wrong. Like one time,
many years back, before any
of my NY stuff started, a
friend of mine, another kid,
with a penchant for blowhard
status, begins describing to
me the walkway section of
the Brooklyn Bridge; how it
runs up, beneath the cables
and all that great vista and
commensurate expanse and
views. And meanwhile I'm
building this 'picture' from
what he's describing, and
he gets to the top, what he
calls it (as if it were a height
to climb, or a mountain,) and
I ask if it was still a narrow
wooden walk, and he says,
"No! You could play baseball
up there! It's wide and open,
plenty of room.' OK, so goes
my picture of the place at age
whatever it was. Then I get
there myself, a few years later,
and make the walk, the first
of many times and very little
bears any relationship in reality
to what he'd described, and you
couldn't play baseball up there
if you tried, And then I further
realized the essential mind-set
difference too  -  playing baseball?
Up there? With all that romantic,
old, writerly history and strong,
poetic space? Why would he
have even thought of this in
terms of baseball? I found
it was a very substantial gap
in the thought processes we
each possessed. That explained
everything, and it certainly
explained my alienated place
in that scheme of reality of
which he lived.
-
Another time, with my friend
Frank, in a 1960 Plymouth Fury,
we're on our way up to Woodstock,
and he says we should stop in and
see Bob Dylan. His claim was that
Zimmy was front-porch friendly
with everyone who wandered by;
that we'd be able to sit and talk,
hang out a bit on his porch, and
all that. A whole 'Meet the Folks'
kind of happiness. All the while,
from his description, I'm building
a picture of this cabin in the woods,
all green and moist and thick with
trees and solace and happiness; a
regular ultra-dimensional Walden
in the Overlook Mountain woods.
As it turned out, he knew very little
of what he spoke, we got lost, and
never even found the place. My
'imaged' location  -  I found out
only years later when I myself
went there, was perfect in all
respects except size. It was all
larger than I imagined, and,
actually, there were two such
locations. (They moved higher
and a bit more distant after the
big times hit). My visions in
that case were pretty good,
BUT only later too I found
out, he was hating ALL of it.
The drop-ins, the stupid kids
finding their ways to his
houses and places, and, had
we arrived there anyway, it
probably would have gone
real bad. The poetically
imagined graciousness was,
in reality, a regularly set-up
Jewish guy trying to raise a
large and growing family
while dealing with all that
other stuff too.
-
And now don't get me wrong,
none of this was real important
to me anyway. I found myself
turning out sometimes to be the
kind of guy who, if the person I
was with liked 'nutmeg ice cream,'
then so did I; kind of a Stockholm
Syndrome all its own, that. That's
a terrible way to be, and it took
a long time for me to realize the
specious waste of things I was
making by being that way. But,
in so many respects, I never
did really correct that trait.
And yes, it has sometimes
caused me problems. I was
never an idol chaser, as Frank
here was. Bob Dylan, or
Zimmerman, or whatever
the hell we were chasing there,
could fall off the moon and
I wouldn't really care. 
As in 'Care.'
-
So what is it we are chasing
in this life? Images and ideas?
Or realities? I spent lots of
time thinking tht one over
in this miserable life of mine, 
and all I got as an answer was
the inclination to work harder
at what's given to me, because
it comes with its own demands,
and to flee. That last one is the
most interesting  -  To flee!
Man, if that isn't the story of
my life; but I did nothing to
effect that. I was always trying
to fudge my way through
circumstances in an  almost
cowardly fashion. There are
some hundred people, I'd bet,
that I should have just told to
go to hell and walked, but
instead I stayed and played
their game. Wasting my time
and theirs. I almost made it,
here and there, but it just 
never fully translated through.
Normally, the patter has it that
you go to Hell for hiding your
light. Save me a seat then, OK?
-
I'd have to imagine everything in 
this life is what we imagine. (Weird 
sentence that is. A life sentence, in
fact!)...But where does any of that 
end and how far are we to take it? 
Every time I begin to tell something
of that 'other' time, I always manage
to end up in the present anyway.
Where I was going when I was
going up there, to Woodstock, I'll
never quite fathom because none
of it really materialized., and here I
am, reliving my future. Now?
Or is it then?


No comments: