Thursday, April 16, 2020

12,737. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,027

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,027
(falsification knows no bounds)
You know what happened
to me at 70? I woke up and
said, 'Damn! I'm gonna' die.
I don't want to, yet.' Same for
everyone else too. It's right
there, slamming you in the
face nonetheless, (or will be,
 soon enough), and there's
little you can do about. The
idea of summing things up
takes hold, I think. The
response of many others is
silence. My response was
always to make more noise.
-
I have lots of sunny days
to remember. I remember
one time, t was maybe late
May, and we'd gone to the
Philadelphia Navy Yard and
when we got there it turned
out to be some big open-house
celebration day of some sort,
with tours and talks, and
music and food; all that
usual festival stuff in places
one is not normally allowed
access. There were three
of us, and I had my own
interests in the ships and
water stuff, and those I was
with had their own interests
in the floral displays and
plantings and all that female
stuff that didn't attract me
at all. I know, it's probably
not 'female,' but whatever.
So we wound up doing that
which we liked. And then
there was this jitney-bus,
kind of open-air thing, more
than one actually, which
were driving around all day
and you could hope on or
off at will, go into the old
officers' houses and mansions
of the Commander and all
that. It was cool. The air
was nice and fresh, bright
sunlight glinting off the
water, and all those gigantic,
mothballed fleet ships just
'there' as if on hold, out in
the water. Like an apparition
from some other time and
place. The seagulls and
birds and whistles made
some sound, but mostly
all you heard, on land, was
the usual folk-songy kind
of throwback music for
guitars and flutes and junk,
like from the early 1960's
What's so funny about peace,
love and understanding?
Well, yeah, I guess not much,
except it was funny to see all
this kumbaya going on in
the confines of grounds that
mostly had been dedicated for
war and war purposes. I guess
turnabout is fair play, and toss
me another fennel-cake.
-
You're probably saying, 'Philadelphia
Navy Yard? Why there?' I made a
wrong turn at the Brooklyn Navy
Yard? No , not really. I just go
where fancy takes me sometimes,
and I find the coolest stuff. This
Navy Yard is mostly repurposed,
like the Brooklyn one too, for
small business, artisan and craft,
artists, and all that smaller stuff;
but what makes it cool is all
the old-stuff still scattered about.
The Brooklyn Navy Yard too was
once like that, but like 10 years
ago it got hit with this whole
wave of clean-up, redevelopment,
modernization and all that. Of
course, when that happens, the
first things to go are the cool old
things that I always like the best.
But everyone else thinks in a
different fashion, so in comes
the plastics, and the pastel shades,
the faux sidings and window
treatments and all that really
inauthentic crap that seeps in
when the wrong people try to
pretend something new is
going to be something old. We
have that here now, right now,
like a zillion tax-dollars later, 
(often unaccounted) and they're
not near done. I guess you could
call it 'Oldernizing,' instead
of Modernizing. This one is
being fake oldernized so they
can put in   -  what else  -
a local-veneer, glib, history
museum. Multiply that by
maybe, 40 times, and it's the
sort of crud these Navy Yards
get too. Like having Superman
on display  -  they say look,
see, don't touch  -  except it's
only Superman after they've
removed his manhood. Then
the banjos and the high-singers
come out.
-
I could go on, I suppose, but I
won't. The Philadelphia Airport
is right near there too, so you
can see all these nifty jet lifts
and approaches too; coming
and going. The juxtapositions
are really good, visually. For
camera too. Old battleships
and aircraft carriers, all grayed
out and slogging away, paddling
themselves to a mothball-death
on the waters, while all these
sleek, fast, jets make their
approaches over them.
-
So if and when I'm going to
die (Wait ! I just told us all
how here's no IF about this),
my last cloud of blazing glory
will be yet another tale about
some horrid old crap with a
meaning only for myself, but
with which I continually am
clonking you-all over the
head with. (That was funny
to use you-all, or, I guess,
y'all in Georgia usage. Ain't
never done that before, y'all).
I'm not about to apologize for
it, no, but at least me relating
the tales will place them in a
better perspective, against all
time and being, for when I'm 
gone. 'That curious little guy
was sure full of it, wasn't he?'
I wonder how much that costs
to get etched on a tombstone.
-
I've never, ever, been one to
get in line with all that gung-ho
military history stuff. I see the
rearward path of life behind us
as nothing more that carnage and
death, undertaken in the name of,
or under the guise of, military
and war-like things. That includes
these Navy bases. Philadelphia's
particular burden is that, on the
broad and useful Delaware River
and delta here, the lands in use
were all misrepresented and then
stolen from the local natives. From
what's called 'Penn's Treaty' landing
(a simple derelict park area now,
replete with an abandoned power
plant for Philadelphia Electric, a
nasty fishing pier, once mostly
for crack addicts and criminals,
some dead-man swings and slides
for retrograde kids, and a once
very nice and reverent statue and
monument to Penn Treaty itself,
now all soiled and graffiti'd up),
well south of the Navy Yard,
maybe 5 miles, and up to the
yard itself, and airport, this was
all riverfront land, harmonic and
in-tune with Nature and Being.
Taken by harm, endangered, and
then wracked and rotted, it's now
been brought to this : mothballed
fleets of dead battleships, the
groans and wails of the dead and
the dying, and some air-headed
flower-porkers with their lutes
and bandannas. Go figure.

No comments: