Saturday, April 25, 2020

12,760. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1035

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1035
(soundtracks to bomb by)
Dazed and confused meant
little to me; just words. When
that whole Led Zepplin thing
broke, my friend Bill was all
over it, blasting that stuff loud
on his radio. It used to drive
me nuts. I couldn't fathom
what the heck they were
attempting to do, and when
I heard it referred as an old,
American, blues-based music,
that really broke the bank.
The first of their songs that
got big-time, man I hated it  -
'Gonna' give you every inch
of my love...' That weird
guitar/feedback thing, or
whatever it was, that kept
breaking the song with some
bizarre descending noise. I
was just unable to grab any
of that. And then it all went
from bad to worse anyway.
I always then did try to keep
the noisy and the infractuous
away from me. None of it
ever attracted me, and it never
came back up as a subject.
Whole lotta' love, for sure.
Bye-bye Ozzie too.
-
Good thing was I was really
able to leave all that stuff alone
and keep it out of my life. I
remember my girlfriend's
high school graduation and
prom song being In a Gadda
da Vida, or something like that,
by some group I forget now.
First hearing that song, outside
of any school connection too,
my thought was What? How
could they? That would have
been by then, for her, 1969,
May. So much now has moved
along, and that really does look
laughable, but back then that
song was breaking-edge music.
Everything seemed capitulation.
All of the normal, old society
had just rolled over and let the
new things take their places
in open space and open time :
teachers with sideburns, Nehru
jackets, weird beads and the rest.
It all became shameless mimcry.
I was way gone by then, yes,
but it was all apparent  -  even
the usual staid and geeky guys,
like the Rat Pack, took up with
all that peace and love crap,
turtle-necks and love beads.
-
It's all too difficult for me to
explain now  -  because things
aren't done in the manner any
more. The world has opened and
drained away too : Nothing means
anything now and everything is
diluted too. It took on endgame
and dissolution. Back then, for a
moment, there still really were
strange and scary things, and it
was all amplified by the circus
of Vietnam. Stateside, it all
looked so different. It's funny
but how the guys who went
over there and did their duties
and fighting and the rest (not
going into that all again here)
they all look back now too, as
old, bitter dudes now, and still
get all cranked up and mad about
some weird 'lack of support' from
people like me, or us, back here.
Yet, because they were there, in
the middles of their own anguishes,
they can't understand either what
we here were going through. To
flip it over, quite frankly, we weren't
getting any support from their sorts,
and they'd fucked it up here for us.
By going along as they did. By
adding to that shitty war-effort.
They were NOT here, so of course
they won't understand me, and
whatever hostility then comes
forth from them is merely a lack
of reasoning on their part. Life
is like that sometimes. I had
my own brutal war underway,
thank you much, and thank
all your pumping, loud, killer
rock-music too. I hated it all.
Soundtracks to bomb by.
-
'This is the end, my only friend,
the end...' Have you ever noticed
how that was used in Apocalypse
Now in the middle of the film, and
not the end? Pretty weird. This is
not the end, my friend. What gives?
Maybe that was a hopeful symbolism?
When Jim Morrison pulled out his
dick on stage in Florida, at a concert
(well, at least it's said he did; I'm sure
no one could see it, Lizard-King or
not), and then got arrested and
dragged away and the concert
stopped, he was already pretty
much a goner, a dead ghost
walking, and that 'Part 1' of the
era of love, peace, and bliss
was headed for the dumper.
It was, of course, replaced just
as quickly by the likes of 'Part
2' of the same crap  -  Cowsills
to Eagles to Strawberry Alarm
Clock  -  and the rest of that
rhythmic cult ended up paying
big money to go see Oh Calcutta!
on Broadway, for the nudity alone.
Whoever it was had structured this
world had sure made some massive
miscalculations, God or not, and
left some major editing undone.
-
Yes, we had some major wars going
on at this side too. The whole place
was flipping over. I became a war
veteran as well  -   but no one would
vouch that side of things - every
thirty feet in NYC there was some
agitation underway. By the time the
new clocks struck I was knee-deep in
things; which brings us, in its way, right
back to the genesis of these writings.
I had to flee. The farther away, the 
better. Not having things ever
really catching up to me was a
fortunate blessing. For me.
And for the cows, who became
my new best friends. Have you
ever seen the Paul McCartney
album cover for 'Ram?'
That was me.
-
In a sort of symbolic way I made
that image and sound representative
of me : Earth. Animals. Back to Nature.
All that crud of the early '70's. Mostly,
what I knew was that if my backstory
caught up to me up there, in those crazy
hills and hollows, it wouldn't fly too well.
Admiral Halsey notified me? 
I don't think so.
-
Now we filer into something
ludicrously and poorly different: 
Corporate country, industrial farming, 
Profit and loss statements, chemically
induced seed-plants and production
limits, people wonder why we're lost,
dazed and confused. There's not a
family farm left  -  no little fences,
no little farmyards, nothing.
Goin' to California, with an
aching in my heart? Don't
think so. The Central Valley
doesn't want you either,
and the Hell's Angels
have left San Berdo.





No comments: