Tuesday, April 14, 2020

12,733. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,025

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,025
(slumming for antecedents)
There may have been a
few mis-steps along my way,
but nothing I ever admit to.
I left off last chapter about
that Miami Vice printing guy
and I still daresay I truly hate
those sorts of people, and they're
still about, who hang their coat
on the most current peg, even
as it's already passing them by.
That's a good way, for sure, to
lose one's coat. It's the same
way with bearings or principles.
I always hang on to my own
coat; never using coat-checks
either. Thoreau it was who said
something like 'Beware of any
enterprise that demands new
clothes.' I say the same. 'Stay
away from any enterprise that
involves checking your coat.'
-
I could never stand stances,
or pretention; those people
who 'select' where they're
going to be, and have only
'selected' that because they
know they'll have plenty of
like-minded back-up. All it
amounts to is a pose, and
fakery. There were lots of
times, during the 1980's say,
where I was at a lot of those
nice-weather outdoor venues
of crafts-people. pure-food types,
historicism and historic accuracy
groups, out on lawns and in the
vast gardens of old estates and
manors. All that 'History' stuff
ringing every bell of supposed
authenticity they could find :
The 'right' doorbells, lanterns,
wallpaper,' breads, footwear,
costumes, the historic accuracy
of portrayals and those collected
glass cases of sick displays of
trinkets and kettles of days long
ago. Old postal cards. Daguerrotypes,
glass prints, etchings. Old sashes
and tools and implements. Even
bedpans and scissors. Really now.
That's some pretense for you.
-
The real fact of the matter is that,
except for the very smug, none of
that mattered a whit, in 1883, say.
You used what you had; you'd
gotten what you had by either
happenstance or hard work,
and there wasn't any of it
that was worth commenting on.
Utility was the watchword. It was
only these 100-120 years later
that put the dumb-stamp on all
this. "Oh my, what wonderful
shoes they wore then..." Not quite,
fat lady, they had to lace up 200
rows of laces, probably twice a day
at least, and remove the mud and
cow-shit too. You'd have enjoyed
it about as much as having a
hemorrhoid, and one without an
available store-bought tube of
ointment for it too.
-
When I was about 10 or 11, I went
for one Summer or two, to a Boy
Scout camp, called Cowaw. It
was up above the Delaware
Water Gap, near a place named
Latham,or something. It had once
been an iron-mine or somesuch;
old Indian-marked trails, a few
vertical rises and walls of rock,
and a big-hoot vista out over
the river and valley. Sleeping
in an open lean-to, hiking and the
rest of that Boy Scout stuff. But
I could never keep my mind on it.
I was a crazy kid as it was, and,
even at like 11, what drove me
crazy (pre-seminary days by a
year too), was the way I saw,
or thought I read the vibes from,
these 'camp counselor' leader guys.
young men, in their late 20's maybe,
there for the Summer. I guess they
got hired on, maybe by Scouting
USA or something, to run these
Scout camps, week after week, as
the various troops and residents
would come in for their week or
two periods of time. All I kept
seeing were these weird little
sub-dramas that seemed always
to be going on between those
camp-guys and the five or six
females who ran the little snack
store, laundry thing, and aid
station. I was certain there was
something going on; that they
were all 'seeing' one another,
as it were. I couldn't say, but
I read the air, and I wasn't no
dummy either. That seemed, in
fact, to be a real good attraction
for taking the job. If so.
-
Cowaw itself meant 'Little Pine,'
or something like that in the
old Delaware language. As if
kids like us were all of a sudden
supposed to care and/or show
reverence to anything having to
do with the million locals and
natives we'd killed and driven
out so we could have a paved
road and batches of pre-teen
kids, and horny camp-counselors
who were provided with babes
for the taking! Yep, there's a
trade-off. I used to wonder
what sort of merit badge they
got for that sort of work. Boy
Scouts was a funny business,
even back then, but this made
it all worse. Normally, like, for a
priest, if you're dishonest you're
either gay or able well-enough to
conceal whatever the oddness is.
In Boy Scouts none of that was
ever admitted too or even broached,
lording it all over young boys
and all  -  that same old routine
as ever. I never knew what it
was about that, but at least these
randy guys were getting it off
with the opposite sex. Also,
in Scouting, an Eagle Scout was
like the equivalent of a lifer in
prison. How they ever stuck
through all that so as to become
18-year old Super Scouts, with
a zillion weird achievements of
knife-carving, egg hatching,
long-distance hiking, and
wilderness cabin building,
always slayed me. Just their
sash alone weighted 20 lbs.
with all those pins and badges
in it. Teepee Building, indeed!
(I wonder how many became
architects).
-
Antecedents are pretty important,
I always thought. Like being up
in those high hills, above the
Delaware  -  the only antecedents
there, maybe, were three. The
'original' land-dwellers, the
native Delawares and Lenapes,
Ramapos and Mohawks, those
ancient tribes who probably saw
all of this land I was traipsing on
in an entire and different light;
one even with different lines
and markings than any dumb
white man interloper ever had.
That was an antecedent, and
a large one. After that started
trickling in the settlers, with
all their weird implements and
ideas about living, fixed, in
place. Cabins and settlements,
and then their iron mines and
then their railroads. That all
came through here  -  for what
purpose no one really knew  -
and changed the groundscape
forever. Giving up, eventually,
on waterways, they all began
to gouge and cut the ground,
felling trees, dragging lumber
across it, flattening the access.
That was maybe antecedent #2,
newer, and destructive. All
those Indians and local natives,
by the way, killed, murdered,
slain, or driven off  -  not a trace.
Not a grave, a marker, or even
any burial mounds to be spoken
of. As if all of it, and they never
existed. Lastly, I figured, antecedent
#3 was us. 1960, rat-kids and
people, skimming over the tar 
landscape in large, finned cars, 
trying to endlessly do 50 in a 25.
I wondered; they should have
had a merit badge for 'Finding
Antecedents.' I'd have done it.




No comments: