Tuesday, April 21, 2020

12,749. HAVE A FULCRUM

HAVE A FULCRUM
'There is no future; just forget
it. Just advance the kids, they're
not going to learn anyway.' I
heard that one today; right by
the silver car with out of state
plates, one of those Carolinas,
I think. The one with the 
Palmetto image on their
tags. The another guy came 
over, some contractor or painter,
from a work truck and asked for
a light. I said I don't smoke, just
burst into flames. He laughed,
and I pointed to Carolina, who
was taking a drag. 'They call him
Fire-starter, down south.' The guy
walked away. Some black guy
was fiddling too, with the Free
Air nozzle. He couldn't seem to
get it to work. I went back inside;
wondering if I'd had a headache
or if it was just my imagination.
-
I hated the rough-hewn facing
bricks on the front of this tan
building. I hated the tan too, and
the dumpster truck that was just
arriving, and the swing-out doors
to the dumpster location too. It
all took up too much space, got 
blocked, and there were impatient
cars now waiting around. I wanted 
to say something unkind to everyone
who passed. Lots of things came to
mind, though I ended up saying 
nothing at all. 'No future?' It all
sounded like a Clash song in the
back of my mind, from long ago.

No comments: