Sunday, April 19, 2020

12,745. LET'S HAVE A QUEMASA

LET'S HAVE A QUEMASA
-(here's a story about 1966)-
No, but maybe yes. I can bring
a gift for the man from Formosa,
and you can quilt a cat. Fifty years
ago I used to buy Okinawa mugs
on Sheridan Square. It was a really
big deal. They were pottery mugs,
large size too, back when coffee wasn't
such the same major big deal as 
in all the places that it is now. An 
Okinawa mug made all the difference 
to show you were hip and endowed
with the great fever of all the 
beatniks who then were gone.
And they were cheap enough too,
for a budget-crank like me who
only operated on IOU's and theft.
Even, at age 16, when I picked up
'40-year old women, it was all on
IOU's. None of it ever worked out
anyway. They were Price-Is-Right
boring as hell. I brought the doorbell,
but only if they brought the door.
That Okinawa mug showed them a
thing or two about me. Everything
once was famous, then. I noticed that.
In old photos now, the place at the
corner, underneath the second floor
Okinawa mug place, gets all the
credit. Cigar shop, candy store,
whatever it was. It was nothing
compared to what was upstairs.
I remember, we played dominoes
with the fusillade, and no one
ever lost, and no one ever won.


No comments: