Tuesday, April 21, 2020

12,747. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,031

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1031
(dual moments in an old, single sun)
There's never any moment like
one's first realization that what
you first thought was, wasn't 
really. It can be likened to a
film over a baby's eyes. When
I was young boy, maybe 8 or 9,
just about the time of the train 
wreck, my mother started
having other kids. Before that
it had just been me and my
sister, who was maybe 15
months younger than me. Still
is, actually (that's a joke, thrown
in for comic relief because I
don't want you to think I'm
going all dramatic now). So
new little babies began showing 
up when she and I were already
8 and 7. New vistas, for sure. 
I really didn't pay that much 
attention to it, being train-wrecked
and all at first  -  which kind of
had me preoccupied some. One
of the oddest things I remember
was being told of how little
infants grow. One was about
how to hold them  -  the neck
always had to be supported
because, early on, the infant
had no real control over its own
rigidity and could or would, if
not supported by a hand behind
the neck while being held, flop
back, with head or neck, and
get hurt. Well, sort of made
sense, I guessed, in a basic,
diagrammatic, way. So I always
tended to that, even though I
really didn't handle any of them
much anyway. (There were three
more infants in a quick succession,
of like 1958-1962, I think). By
then I was gone anyway; seminary
school stuff. '62, I mean. Another
thing, and this I was able to
sort-of feel, because it was a
real thing and tangible enough.
The skull, apparently, at birth,
isn't fully complete; at the
top of the skull (top-high
back of the head) it's sort of still
soft, not yet having 'hardened'
into real skull. As they put it, 
it hadn't, the skull, 'stitched
itself' closed yet. I never knew
what that was all about, nor where
it all led. I guessed brain matter
behind there, but I couldn't tell.
I even for a while thought it
was maybe still not closed up
because signals were still coming 
in, for the kid, that had to be
absorbed and couldn't be fully
finalized until maybe the new
kid's situation and thought
environment was known. I
figured it was just more of the
weird weirdnesses of life and
matter. The third one was
more curious to me  - it was
about vision and seeing. I
was told, or as it was explained
to me, these infants didn't 'see'
at first, their eyes were covered
over with a film, some opacity
that went away after some weeks,
8 or 20, I forget. Until that time,
the kid just sees the basic shapes
and forms, in a shadowy fashion,
and only later does true 'visual'
input begin. That too was weird;
I figured nothing could really
be proven one or or another at
the level we were at, so I went
along. Eventually I did start
seeing how baby-eyeballs began
noting and following things.
Movement and shapes. It all
seemed so primitive and
evolutionary to me  -  like
why then was 'hearing' OK 
from  day one? To better hear
predators? What's a kid gong
to do about a predator? Might
as well see them. What was the
use of 'gradual' sight if all sight
wasn't the same? It was pretty
baffling to me. When an infant
starts wailing, whether it sees
or not, it pretty much gives its
location away to any lion, tiger 
or bear out prowling for some
young loin of infant.
-
So, I kept getting these sisters,
and a brother, with soft heads,
who couldn't see, and who kept
wanting to die from whiplash.
That was a tall order; it's no
wonder I left home. It's all
real funny now  -  in today's
world kids are smothered in
safety  -  harnesses, jackets,
helmets, and the rest. Back 
then, these kids, even the 
newest of them with the
unfinished skulls, wobbly 
necks, eyes that didn't yet
function, they all, everywhere,
just got slam-dunked into the car,
front seat or back, and either
with Mommy, or just let 
loose, to ride down the
highway at 58mph in the
huffing and chugging old
'55 DeSoto or whatever, while
crazy, old, speedy Dad drove.
(What really gets my goat 
is the edict that they must be
rear-facing now, in a kid's seat
too. Strapped. What freaking
kill-joy Nazi-in-training
came up with that bullshit?
How's a kid supposed to start
learning that it's going 'forward'
by seeing everything receding
all the time  -  if those new
baby eyes are working. What's
the use of eyes then and how weird
do things really get? That's the
same set of eyes that sees
everything upside-down until
the optic-nerve corrects it? Maybe
we all end up where we started 
out because we only think we're
going forward when actually
we're closing the circle backward,
and get it done, and then we 
die; babbling like a baby again
anyway, and needing diapers
as well. Something about all
this life always did scare the
hell out of me.
-
Being a kid is some crazy stuff;
things fall between definitions
as you've not yet put claim to
all the items about life that do
later, somehow, just  fall into 
place. I suppose too that after
a while the newness of things
all wears off and everything
around you gets to be 'your' 
normal. Think of that for all
the levels of life : probably the
poor ghetto kid, in misery and
deprivation, doesn't much see 
it as that at all. It's his or her
'normal,' bad as it may be, and
that's just how things are. You
build everything else from that
foundation. If you're dead-poor
and your home life is misery, dad
beats mom, and then you, and
all the rest, you just hope all
that improves as you make your
way along. But that's the way
you see everything after that.
Same with rich kids, medium
kids, blind kids, handicapped,
etc. You land your feet down,
where you are, and you go from
their. All those slick-backed
do-gooders and the gompers 
who always claim they feel 
your pain and want to help 
and the rest, they too are all 
full of it. Their own soft-heads
probably never healed up, and
their eyes, I betcha' still have
that film of gauzy nothing.
Spineless? You tell me.
-
One last thing: As a kid, maybe
5 or 6, I remember my mother
had a 'miscarriage.' She was
in the hospital a few days, and
came home and stayed in the
bedroom for a few more, all
quiet and mournful and medical 
and sad. I had no clue what was
going  on except, when told what 
had happened, my crazy-loon
kid-brain immediately figured
the missing baby must have
been a girl. Otherwise wouldn't
they be saying 'mrcarriage?'


No comments: