Monday, April 6, 2020

12,708. RUDIMENTS, pt, 1,016

RUDIMENTS, pt, 1,016
(has it all over that)
I got to a certain point where
I wanted to break things up and
begin abstracting all that I did.
For me it was a new concept.
I may have always 'thought'
like that, but I'd never practiced
it in what I did. The thoughts I
had were always free-flowing
and not in sequence as far as
proper concerns of the niceties
and procedures of what one was
'supposed' to do. Like trespassing.
Trespassing was never a big concern
to me. I'd see someplace marked
off limits or no trespassing and
all that, and it wouldn't matter
to me. I'd forge onward and get
in there anyway. I've had my
goodly share of run-ins with
security people, fake-badgers,
and tin-horns standing around
being paid to watch and guard.
They've always been pretty
much pushovers. Especially
with a camera in hand, as I
often was, or when not too,
the most simple excuse about
just being interested or wanting
a picture usually only brought
a slight scolding and a 'leave
now.' I was always expecting,
a la Monopoly, the next words
to be 'Do Not Pass Go, Do Not
Collect $200.' I always figured
anyone who took pride in being
a security standee was a fairly
hopeless being. Right down
there with those people they have
in museums, standing around
for full shifts, watching....well,
watching nothing. It's even
funnier when you see how they
get dressed up, with their little
logo jackets and brim hats too.
Back then, great swaths of old
NYC were coming down, lock,
stock, and barrel. Entire sections
and neighborhoods, and commercial
areas too. The place was a visual
goldmine for ruins and debris.
Collecting stuff was a cinch, all
sorts of the cast-off and wasted
that no one ever cared about.
People are most oblivious to the
good stuff around them when
it's splattered all around right
in front of them. They have to
wait, weirdly enough, or maybe
stupidly enough, until much
later when someone else, some
'authority' or history-booster
bunch, gathers it for display
and exhibit and has placards
and some geek-pert telling
them what it is/was. When they
had it present do they were too 
dumb to know. There's kind of a
conditional atmosphere to an
old shovel, or grandma's old
spinning wheel, or the pots and
pans from some old tenement,
or old pens and pencils left
in a desk, or old windows,
casing, sashes and sills.
No one cared. It has to
be a show for them. Things
of that nature always need 
context, and context can't be 
made  up; though those
folks surely always try.
For myself, getting to slink
around old New York while it
was getting torn down was
a chance of a lifetime.
Talk about context!
-
One thing that always bothered, 
as I walked these places was poor
use of words, as I saw. When
any of this was 'built up, it
was 'raised.' Now that it was
coming down, entire blocks
were being 'razed.' Whoever
started that, or however it got
started, those two words were
way too close for my taste.
First off, they sounded the same.
Both made hunches towards
the same thing, but in entirely
different directions. It sure
never made sense to me. I
never liked that word, 'razed.'
It's even worse when you're 
speaking it, rather than reading
it. You can come off sounding
like a real fool: "Um, well, yes,
all these building that you see
here are being razed for the
new plaza..." Huh? They're
already here, aren't they raised
already?...
-
When I mention 'abstract' ways,
I mean that  -  not crazy, not
random, but just deliberately
built in such a way that the
end-concept is something you
cannot quite get, focus upon,
or see as tangible. Just a step
or two off from the usual; the
ordinary; but with real meaning
too. I figured if that was how I
saw my world, then that's the
manner in which I ought to
portray it. No sense beating
around the bush. (My mother
used to say that a lot). The
things that my living conception
of the universe never needed
were logic sequence, ordered
composure rational movement,
fixed valuations, in-place
meanings, etc. And, I'll be
damned too, that's just about
where the whole world's been
brought to now with all this 
sweeping madness of ills and
viruses. Everything's been
ass-ended, no help from me.
Much of my own life has
been spent in places abstract
to me. Good God do I mean
that. My first exposures to 
things were totally abstract.
I was making up a life on
the fly. The only two people
left in this world  -  and this
is weird  -  who can vouch for
the reality of what I'm talking
about are my sister Andrea,
who about that time was 
perhaps 10. And Kathy, who
became my wife. (I used to
introduce her as 'My future
ex-wife Kathy'; but that never
happened.) It's OK, you can
laugh. My very young sister
used to come in, with my father,
on those trips when he'd be
looking for me. She still 
makes occasional mention 
of her memories of what she 
saw and what she witnessed
on those trips. God too only
knows what I must have looked
like to a ten-year old sister
back then.
-
You see, that is what's so weird
about all this, and about life in
general. In order to quantify and
line out things, you basically
need a possession of rationality
and sequence. Totally not abstract.
I'd never have that because it
would reflect nothing to me.
And pretty much that's why I
failed. Business and finance
demand all that stuff that I
never had nor ever had an
interest in. I'd rather pay $400
bucks for an old lost  bottle of
sand from some St. Marquand
pirate wreck then I would in
some cockamamie scheme to 
make 4% of a rolling sale of 
some 10,000 face masks from 
China. China, no less. The
same bastards who were eating
soup from bats' stomachs to
start all this. Now THAT's
abstract! It used to be enough
to say Chinese restaurants
served cat meat. This new
one has it all over that.





No comments: