Friday, April 10, 2020

12,717. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,020

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,020
(how narrow, the sounds)
I'll just put it all out there;
I knew I'd been here before;
it was all played out already,
and this life was but a replay,
maybe even a review. Every
scene or word I ever did or
spoke had been done or
spoken before. There is
nothing new under the sun.
How any of that adds up,
I can't exactly claim to know,
but it's somehow cumulative.
Maybe we call that karma.
And all these small efforts that
Humankind makes to understand
any of these glimmers; they
get little names and labels
attached. We live with them.
-
Plato had everything as symbols.
I hold Hell to be that stasis of
having to remain in place, and
have all these events and words
recur, slightly varied, perhaps
with slightly different inputs and
variations and effects, but the
same nonetheless, over and over.
The Hell of lost chances then is
Nietzsche's eternal recurrence.
I've said this before; I call it
'Lesson Learning Catching Up
With Itself.' When it does, the
You of you is let out of Hell,
and it's redone, yet again, but
with perfection. We try to call
that 'Heaven.' Just another label,
nothing really at all. Like saying
garage sale or estate sale or
household sale. Same shit,
different day. If it wasn't for
any of that, what would the
universe be? Lights, slowly
blinking off? Our pale adventures
give the universe its meaning.
Monkey, swamp-dog, turtle,
or human. Take your pick.
They all have their stories.
-
One day, I went right up to
John Calhoun, the foreman on
a miserable dock crew I now and
then helped with. I said, 'John,
John, I want a day's work and
I want a day's pay. And I want
two beers with you when we're
done.' He agreed! I got two
shipments of something from
Japan, to break down and sort.
Turned out they were record
albums, about 30 of each, it
seemed, by these greasy rock
n' roll groups. Early ones, mostly
concert and live stuff. You see, the
thing about Japanese printings,
I guess the 'pressings' too but
I don't know, was that the printing
was so much more vivid than the
muddy American kind. The album
jackets and all that graphic and
colorful stuff really popped.
The Japanese pressings were
prized more than the American
ones. And they usually cost 
more too, in the record store.
So I had, in front of me, crates
of them, assorted, to break down,
unpack, cross-check, and pile
together as unified freight,
received. I guess today that's
all containerized, binned,
scanned, kept sealed, and
recorded as delivered, by time
and everything else. But in
these days here, it was haphazard,
quick-flow, freight. Like toasters
and TV's that 'fell off a truck.'
Except I wasn't interested, so
I didn't steal anything.  There
were different ways of doing it,
and it was done often enough.
You learned, eventually, where
to stash one or two items, not
be greedy, keep cool, and come
around another time and grab it.
Maybe someone saw, maybe not,
but the fact of the matter was
no one really cared. Loss was
part of the factor. It's all
different now, and those kinds
of boats don't even go there
any longer. Now it's all large,
container vessels, and they're
all off to Port Elizabeth instead,
or other, southern, ports, which 
have taken over a lot of this traffic. 
NYC's a goon-squad, high-expense,
union-bound destination no one
really wants any more. But these
here were different times, and this
was small-time stuff. And then
at the end of that afternoon, John
Calhoun says,  'Let's go.' I was
trembling in my boots. He had
three other dockworker guys
with him; a typical after-work
drink spree. I'd never done this
before and had just been talking
big, never thinking he'd take me
up on it. It was a dockworker
bar, a real grime-hole, but cool;
called 'Lisi's'. I guess that was
someone's name, at some point.
Sawdust on the floor, a little
noise, but not real loud. Old
guys dwarfing around over a
shot and a beer. A few women,
guys coming and going. I figured
it was just a usual spot, and I'd
been past it a few times, never
seeing any great shakes or
anything noticeable. These 
guys set me up with two beers,
and a back-up, which kind of
instantly bummed me out because
it sort of meant I had to buy
them too. 4 guys and me, At
85 cents each, that was probably
6 or 7 bucks out of pocket,
right off, plus for me it was a
real lot to drink. I'd be reeling
if it kept going 'round;
these guys took it all like it
was water. Stupid me. The
whole idea had been to get
16 or 18 bucks for a weak 
day's pay, and now I end up
giving a good portion of it 
out. As drink. 
-
These guys were funny, the
talk was good. I watched them.
They got crazier. And it all got
easier. The more they drank,
they had these little routines
between them  -  'Hey, Sal,
didja' know that 58 percent
of the women in this country 
are battered?' Sal look startled,
says 'No! Damn it all; I been
eatin' mine plain all these years!'
Har-har. John Calhoun said
little. He'd gotten all quiet and
stern. More stern for sure than
the others. He said to me, 'How
are you enjoying your time out?
I don't do this too often myself,
but for you today I figured to
make an exception. You like 
these guys? They're real assholes, 
but funny.' I said, 'Yeah, they're
OK, but you don't seem so. What's
up?' The other guys had gotten
up and gone to the side-back, 
where there was pool table, 
really close to the wall, I thought, 
and two dart boards. On the wall 
were a few of those trophy-fish 
things. I never liked them, anywhere 
I saw them. A person goes out
deep-see fishing, gets this big 
swordfish,  drags it back, and has 
it 'mounted' as a wall-hanging? 
That always seemed like an
injustice to me. There was
also a double-phone-booth
thing, nice dark wood kind, and
a rest-room entry. One or two
I couldn't tell, and I don't know
what ladies did. I suppose there
was one. Those guys were hootin'
it up back there. It was a pretty
happening spot. John said, 'It's
nothing, except, you know, I
oughtnt' to be here  -  there's 
too much hoodlum crap around 
here, dock stuff, people owing 
people, waiting on deals, etc.
A couple of faces I know; it's
tense. I'm not liking it. I don't
want to say I'm 'Management'
but to these guys I'm not one of
them, and they know. It's tense;
the less I see, the better. You
ready to go?' I said, 'Yeah. But
what about them?' John laughed.
'They're grown boys, they can get 
home on their own. Don't worry.'
He left a few bucks, and we got
up and left, and outside, after
a block or so, we went our
separate ways.  As I walked
away, I still heard the bar noise.
How narrow, the sounds.


No comments: