Saturday, March 21, 2020

12,655. RUDIMENTS, pt. 999

RUDIMENTS, pt. 999
(getting to the bottom of....)
My first few nights in New York
City, having landed basically with
nothing, except what I wore and
the few things I carried, I spent
in Tompkins Square Park. The
park itself was configured a
little differently back then. In
fact, it was a lot different. If
you look at any of the old
photos of 1960's urban parks,
you'll see, since they were all
about the same. Metal swingsets,
set off in some corner, in bare
grassy areas, with but a little
grass. It was as if, in all these 
municipal settings, that people 
had no clue what to do  -  metal
and concrete, swings, slides, etc. 
Apparently there was no over-riding 
sense of safety, aesthetics, or place. 
It hadn't developed yet. Things were 
just thrown about and left to fester 
where they might. The thing about 
Tompkins at least was always the 
stately elms. Most of them are
still around. (Elm trees once
defined America, in a lost, and
stately way(. But it's a far more 
social place now, groomed, 
benches, attendants always 
around, working out of the 
Parks Dept (old) building.
There used to be a bandshell 
in the other far back corner, at
the rear. It used to be there, but
the last visit I made, it seemed 
gone, but I may have just missed 
it. There used to be a Charlie
Parker Festival there each Summer.
Parker lived in an apartment
building right at the rear of 
the park, in whatever way he
called what he did 'living.' He
was all over the place by the end,
dying in some countess's apartment
or something on Fifth Ave., up
along Central Park, not Tompkins.
He was a junky, pretty much, by
then, and this rich lady was taking
care of him. He died in a chair
there, right in front of the TV, as
he was laughing heartily at some
Dorsey Brothers or somebody
comedy routine on the tube. I
can't remember the incidentals,
and it was all before my time there
anyway, but the Parker legend
lived on. There was a little plaque
on the Tompkins area building; 
still is. No mention of it on the
Fifth Avenue place. I guess it
was a scandal. Anyway, the 
bandshell was important to me,
in Summer '67, because it was
right out in front of it where I
slept. I'm not even sure what
brought to that location; I must
have read about it. All sorts of
new-hippie types, at that time,
were landing into NYC, and
the lower east side and Tompkins
Square was like Ground Zero.
People just slept where they were,
like I did. Some were grogged
out of their minds anyway and
couldn't move if they tried. But,
no one lifted a finger to move you
along, no police or nightsticks,
etc. There was a modicum of
bathroom and sink stuff in the
building I mentioned, and if
one was able to get over the 
leaks and the stench and the 
bad plumbing and no towels,
and all that, it all became doable.
No one knew what to make
of any of this anyway; even the
fatuous newspapers and magazines
were sending people around to
'cover' this vast influx of 'America's
unsettled youth,' as they would
put it, 'amassing in great and 
confused numbers in all our
major cities. What do they want?
Where do the come from?' A
lot of the kids, smarter than
you'd probably give them
credit for, were onto the game
already. They'd say all sorts of
outlandish things, while smirking
or not. The rube reporters, and
the photo guys in tow, they took
it all in earnest, concocting
these great, lurid reports and
turning them in. You'd think a
biblical swarm of human locusts
was about to wreck the country.
I stayed silent and would mostly
move away when I saw this stuff.
It was all new to me and I was
scared too, and certainly not there
as 'part' of anything. Plus, just
by listening you could tell the
'veterans' from the newbies
already. To the older park
dwellers it was all seasoned and
coy talk, almost wise-assed,
like Yippie stuff later. It was
always a new kid that was in
dead earnest, staring and serious, 
and actually working hard on 
answering some dumb-ass question 
or two in a straightforward and 
serious fashion; as if still in 
school and giving a verbal 
report about Magellan's voyage 
or something. Loosen up! The 
world's not that tender.
-
I didn't know any of that, but
I do now. When I was doing all
that biker stuff, through the 90's,
lots of times, at the Biker Runs
or parties we ran, some stupid
reporter would always come 
around  -  like, for instance  -  
the May Awareness run that
we did each year and which 
ended up in Avenel Park for 
some stupid and noisy beerfest 
and bike party. It was all
supposed to be about safety
and such, but more likely it was
rock and roll on a bandstand, 
and beer and more, all day.
Everyone was all tanked up
a few hours later and damned
for certain every time the Home
News would send a local reporter
out to 'cover' the event. Just
like the hippie junk in Tompkins.
They'd usually come to me first,
and I'd try to set a decent tone,
talking seriously and calmly
patterned, to make sense and 
actually present an issue or
two, and then I'd realize, like
Tompkins Square again, that I
was sounding like any one of
those newly-arrived park kids,
way too earnest. I really wanted
to just say, 'Shove off, we're her
for your daughter.' But I knew I
couldn't; and then every year
I'd be a nervous wreck until the
next day's newspaper, where
we'd always get a photo or
two on the lower front page,
and a story continued inside.
I, and the others, would always
be crazy-nervous to see who
said what that would possibly
betray us for being the drunk,
maladroit 'miscreants' we
actually were. Once or twice 
it got really bad, with someone
making a gross comment, but
mostly it was bearable. (I used
the word 'miscreants,' because
that was what Senator Frank
Lautenberg, asshole Senator
from New Jersey, called us once).
He was ahead of the curve on
Hillary's 'Deplorables' crack.
-
Anyway, back to Tompkins Square
and the bandshell  -  that was facing
the grassy section everyone slept in,
Not just slept; they did lots of other
stuff too, but, such were the times.
When I first got there, a group of
local Hispanic guys were playing
music, at the bandstand, but not
up in it. Believe it or not, I had
my bongo drums with me, in the
sack I was dragging, and I just 
joined in. it was cool, and it
became a thing; time after time,
they were there a lot. Eventually
I got myself settled, over at 509
e11th, just two blocks over anyway,
and I no longer did the park stuff
so much. I've written all about
this a few other times, much
earlier in these chapters, so I
won't belabor it anew, but I
fond my way, within two months
anyway, to live, eat, and even
have one or two really dipshit,
survival jobs, until things sort
of turned around for me and 
I was no longer such a scared
rube myself. Hence, my stories.
-
The whole Hispanic or, I guess
then, Puerto Rican experience 
was new too, and an eye-opener.
I'd never been exposed like that
before to a loud, nay raucous,
outdoor, Caribbean-type culture
before. It took some getting
used to, but I watch in awe
sometimes at these great clutches
of happy people who could turn
angry on  a dime. My own father
had always had hints of that, but
it had nothing to do with Hispanic
influencing. The Spanish guys
were fast and slick. Peacock
like too; proud of themselves and
onto their routine, always; and the
girls  -  without saying more I say
Ole! I'd never seen that kind
of stuff before. Florid, yellows
and reds, blouses, tight pants,
or slacks, or whatever girls call 
them; preening and onto the whole 
display game, and aware of it.
It was a wonder someone wasn't
killed, daily; for gawking or
touching. These girls were the
complete other spectrum from 
the incoming hippie girls, who,
though they too 'showed' things,
were by comparison, coy, shy,
and reticent about all of it. two
worlds apart; and I don't even
know if they watched each other.
For the Spanish girls it was always
all these, and they didn't ever have
to think about it. The hippie girls,
on the other hand, always seemed
super-cautious, weak, and
hesitant.
-
Anyway, that's what it all looked 
like to a dumb 17-year old (me) 
fresh out from  nowhere, and 
certainly not Compton, or fresh
out of Compton or whatever. (I hear
things but I never understand them;
even though silly people go around
saying I'm the one who's difficult
to understand).




No comments: