Sunday, March 22, 2020

12,658. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1000

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1000
('dead, or a vegetable, for life')
I never figured for much as
far as big talk or participation
went; in fact I usually stayed
way outside of that. And then
one day  - I'm still not sure
how  -  I found myself atop a
mess-heap of motorcycle guys.
Talk about learning fast and
running hard; this was it. The
action was close enough to the
bone that I was able to keep up
with it, yet, once again, there
I was, undergoing a form of
tribulation without ever really
having given choice to the 
matter. My life was like that,
a lot. I'd never steadied my
hand enough to get settled in
any one thing, because they
all bored me. I wasn't made
for this world, nor for any of
its rackets  -  but the problem
with that same world is that it
usually grabs you by the nuts
and never lets go. I disliked
business, money, and any of the
smarmy crud needed to make
deals and get contracts. I'd
rather work from inside (my
head). There are a million other
people made for that slimy 
stuff, and they didn't include
me, and that was fine. I wanted
only to create; yet, as a male,
in the peculiar day and age, I
was expected to rot away 
working, dragging home a 
few wasted and ineffectual
dollars at the end of the week,
and stay attuned like that for 
the next 45 years. I'd already
been doing that crap for 25 or 
so anyway, so jumping at this
Biker thing seemed right. It was
crazy-ass stupid; not right. I made
money, a paycheck anyway, doing
what details I had to do. At first it
was cool, but then I realized it too
simply broke down into the same
rancorous bullshit as any other
'organization,' be it Elks, Moose,
or a Union Hall. Factions, Gripes.
Anger. Attitude, People who truly
probably hated one another, trying
to act as if they got along. One
always vying against another. It
was tiring, and 9 years later, I was
done too. Life has parameters, and
they're different for lunkheads,
drunks, speed-demons, fighters, 
and the rest; different for each.
People continually scratch and
claw. What I ended up dealing 
with, at the fine old age of 45,
was a disparate group of end-run
renegades, on one hand, AND a
bunch of looney-toon boy scouts
(albeit on motorcycles), at the
other end. People either wanted
to do good  -  blood-drives, toy
drives for kids, etc., or they wanted
to be as raw and cutting as they
could get away with. I took the
'dad-burned' job (is that a word?),
only because they wanted a monthly
newspaper produced. I knew printing.
I'd be able to write my various
columns and coverages, invite in
and coach along other columnists,
and design and put together this
pretty cool, all inclusive, and
opinionated newspaper. 28 pages,
for a good number of years; then
I had to start paring it down, and
then.....broke. Nothing. It was all
over. That's how I then ended up
at the Barnes & Nobel years, and
then my closing years, at Princeton's
bookstore. Balloons lose air, yeah,
and sometimes the air, instead of
popping, just takes a long time
to dribble down, to nothing. By
the time the Biker crap was all
over, I'd just walked away from it
all, nearing nervous breakdown
levels of anxiety and exhaustion.
Cops. Tax guys. Accountants.
People. Meetings. NJ/NY travel.
I realize it all represented nothing
to me; I'd lost my own standing
in the cause, and I could hardly
tolerate those with whom I was,
at the end, dealing. There were
outlaw clubs sneaking around,
vying for my attention   - there
was the concomitant violence and
fights and break-outs that went
with all that. Demands for money,
etc. I was so done. 
-
My friend, Pete, used to get all
worked up every year when they
went to that Winter blend of 
gasoline, or Summer blend, I 
forget  -  a certain time of year
when they'd  add something to
the gas for emissions control,
or something. He claimed it was
lousy, it affected performance
and was bad for engines, etc. 
Once or twice, early on, I tried
caring about it too, like he did,
but I realized I didn't care one
whit either way what 'they' put
or didn't put in the gasoline. As
long as it burned and fired up,
I was happy. The point was, I
was no longer in consort with the
sort of thinking that would get
all wrought up over that. All 
I wanted to do was create; paint,
write, read. Anything but this
endless chain of pathetic Biker
stuff, which seemed boxed in,
closed-up, incestuous, and dumb
too. I'd taken the whole thing
too far. I was near to being a
drunk; a wild, unfettered, crazy
biker drunk, with a clothesline 
of people behind me wherever 
I went. My foil was, by the
later 90's, to make trips to NYC.
8, sometimes 12 other motorcycles.
We called it recreational drunk
driving. That weeded out a lot of
the real pests; they either didn't like
NYC, or claimed they didn't like
the way  we rode. Or drank and
rode. Or drank. Many a time, I
admit, I don't know how I survived.
The places, and the stunts, were
savagely murderous. I often,
stupidly, put others in danger,
because I wouldn't stop, until
excess drew me down. Nobody
died, through these excursions,
but they could have. What it did
for me  - which was a sad and
sorry state, actually, was get a lot
of this onus off my back. I'd get
NYC, I'd get to show others things
they'd otherwise not have seen,
an it took my mind off all the rest
of the crap. 
-
One of the bars we used to hang at,
on the last Sunday of each month
it would get its visit from the two
Mafioso collector guys. Really. They'd
come by in some big Lincoln car
for their protection money or payoff
money or whatever. All suited up.
shiny like, sharkskin fabric or whatever,
(certainly wasn't 'hounds-tooth'). They
were both big heavy guys, the huge
one went inside. He'd see Michelle,
the owner (Michael, the other owner,
had died, and she was his wife) for
the money. The other guy would,
in good weather, stay outside on a
chair  -  there were a few kept there.
He was the driver and sort of lookout
guy too. I'd sit with him, shooting
the shit, as they say, until the big
goon was done. He'd usually come 
out with a couple of beers, and we'd
sit around, drinking. The place was
mobbed, good and bad, and those
I'd brought with me were all over,
here or there, good-timing it up.
The bikes were all parked wherever
we put them. These mob guys were
cool. Blunt and coarse too. It was fun,
and it lasted a good part of a year, I'd 
say. One time, the driver guy came with
a present for me. But he said the code
was that I'd have to give him a nickel
for it. So I did. He said the next time,
or anytime, he ran across me I'd better
have this on me or there'd be hell to
pay. (I'm thinking, what's with this
guy?). Turns out, he gave me this
sleek, silver thing, looking like a pen,
but when you open it, it's a 3-sided
shank. (See photo). Razor sharp too.
Then he said, 'This is how you kill
a guy, in a crowd or whatever, quick,
silent, and nasty.' Then he shows me
the thing, and says, you go up to the
guy, you take this, (the sharp-shank)
and 'you drive it as deep into his ear 
as you can, in an instant, while twisting 
it too. Then take it out, and walk off.
The guy will be down, either dead, or
a vegetable, for life. Preferably dead,
if you've done it right. This is a very
powerful too. Don't lose it.'


No comments: