Thursday, March 12, 2020

12,629. RUDIMENTS, pt. 990

RUDIMENTS, pt. 990
(and that was that, always)
Sometimes things got pretty
tedious; it's been like that my
entire life. To beat the tedium I
usually just go on my own 
strange way, mostly unconnected 
to anything real. Lying, for sure,
takes your mind off things, and
becomes a game after a bit too.
I had a friend once who could
weave crap like you wouldn't 
believe; carefully too, and with
the right pieces, and all the
connections. He did his, back
then, by a most careful, weekly
reading of New York Magazine
(NOT the New Yorker, which is
entirely different). New York
Magazine is hot-spots, events,
parties, the social scene, foods,
openings, and all the rest of NY's
'attractions.' So it only stood to
reason that anyone doing a careful
reading of this would be a blitzkrieg
of information. Problem was, first,
he was below-classed by a good
margin to the crowd he aspired
to have you think he was in. That
was obvious. There are just so
many hip and of-the-moment 
names and references one can throw
around. How he did it, and never
realized we were at White Castle
and not the Americana Ballroom,
was beyond me, BUT it wasn't
really, because I soon understood
how a perfectly woven, psychotic's
tale can be wholly believed by 
the teller of it. That's what can
make it so convincing, except
that they then 'demand' that you
accept all the tenets and points
they've woven to make their, and
theirs alone, picture. They are
really not concerned with yours
at all. It must be their tale.
-
By contrast to any of that, which
came a few years later anyway, the
guys at the seminary never posed
any of those problems. They were
mostly very even-keel, easy and 
placid about most things. I never
saw a bad side of anyone. The
worst stuff I ever saw was by
the priests and brothers lording
over us, actually. The disciplinarian
ones were sometimes crazy. Matters
of psychology later taught me the
telltale signs of madness, fury,
repression, anger, and all that,
and plenty of these guys had it.
They sometimes took glee in
swinging the whip, and you
could see the rising satisfaction
in their eyes as they 'rose' to the
occasion of their inflicting
punishment. I got it good a few 
times; you could ask others. It
was always over some chicken-shit
stuff too. Not like I killed someone
or broke a bunch of windows or
got caught whacking off. In the
seminary, all that stuff was always
going on. This was for breaches of
 'silence' or not handling a study 
hall right. They tried to keep
everyone busy so no weird
stuff happened, but at the tail
end of each weekday we had
like a 2-hour class study period,
to do homework and junk, like
8pm to 10. Of course, everyone's
all keyed up, food and energy
kicking in, and they expected 
teen boys to sit there and read
history, or conjugate Latin
verbs, and tenses. They were
nuts, of course, and they always
were patrolling the halls too, and
each room had a rear sight-window
so that the hall proctor could see
in as he made the rounds. Sneaky
crap, and they'd always get someone.
They'd come blasting in and just
start pounding, or swinging those
inglorious oversized beads that
hung from their belts. That shit
smarted.
-
The other thing about the seminary
was how, outside, you could be be
anything  -  like me, say, all involved
with another personality completely;
the me who did the stage stuff, the
drama guy, the plays and the roles.
Learning and reading scripts, or
hanging out in Mike's jazz-room.
Other guys would be out playing
softball or running, and that was
their 'other' personality and scene.
You were able to do all that, but
back inside that classroom stuff,
it all changed again. Most guys
played along and did it well; not
all, and not always me. The 
transitions were sometimes too 
swift. Classes and stuff all day,
early Mass, dining, three stupid 
meals daily, and then the study
hall stuff enforced at night. In
the course of a day there was only
maybe an hour and a half of
real free time to goof or be
yourself. Plus dorm details, and
making the bed, and showers and
all that hygiene crap. It was nuts.
I managed, but it was all more
like dangling a wormed hook
out in front of a hungry fish, but
never letting the fish get to it.
There was a certain quotient
of psychotic behavior pushed
by it; not to be helped. But, as
I said, whatever other people
were doing, at least it was real.
Hopefully they were able to shut
it down and compartmentalize
too and for study and learning,
whereat all the boasting and
BS has to stop in order for
anything really to get done.
One thing, in addition, I liked
about Mike's jazzy demeanor was
the factor of 'cool' that he had.
No regrets, just a smoothness
about gliding along and doing
what he felt to do; no pretense,
no put-on. Just an un-mannered
naturalness bespeaking a real
ease within one's own skin. It
was like (of course we couldn't 
do it but...), it was LIKE saying,
'I'll get UP when I choose to,
but first I'll go to sleep WHEN
I choose to as well!'
-
Unlike the crazy cat later on. 
NYC; some years later. One
day about 6 of us were on the
subway together, headed downtown
somewhere, from the 80's, and as
the subway got to the Christopher
Street or Sheridan Square station,
or one of those, in a complete and
sudden change of plans this guy
jumps up and starts trying to get
all of us out of the subway car at
the stop, because it was right
below and near to Balducci's, which
was the only place he bought his
olive oil, some special virgin-blend,
steel-pressed or some crap, for the
recipes he made following the
instructions of some famous 
(to him) Euro-chef we were all
supposed to know. I'm sure this
was all New York magazine stuff,
and a perfect chance to control
the created moment by dragging 
us ALL in. My friend, I'll call
her Rhonda here, swiftly pushes
back: (hard-assed NY type), she
says "No way I'm getting off this
train. I've dealt with enough
psychotics in my day and
I'm not falling for your shit 
again!" There was more but
needless to say her brave and
quick resistance saved the
moment. No one moved, and
no one left. Including Mr. Olive
Oil. I don't know if he was
chastened, because you can't
really insult these people, but
the night went on, our way. BUT,
then we all did exit, and went
to street, because I remember
seeing the action and Balducci's
and all, and I can't actually say we
didn't go. Maybe we stayed put.
I can't remember the outcome.
Maybe I'm lying? Is fiction
ever stranger than truth? I'll
need to ask the wife, next I
see here (she was there too)
what she recalls transpiring as
the outcome of this. Study Hall
at ten, and I'll report back what
I find out. Forty years is 
a long time.
-
[I asked her, this morning. Her vivid
recollection of the scene is that Rhonda
and her boyfriend stayed put, on the
train, while the others of us went
up with him as he bought his crazy
olive oil. That little detour  -  perfectly
choreographed psychotic behavior  -
separated us, as group, for the rest
of the night, as they went their
own way, separately.]




No comments: