Tuesday, March 31, 2020

12,686. TELETHON DON

TELETHON DON
Here's the hammer you came in
with. No, it's not a gavel; it's got
claws. It's a hammer, and everything
is a nail. Man, I get disappointments
five times an hour. My friend was a
judge, and he shot himself; another
was an Olympic swimmer and he
died at Sea Bright, a little dipshit
town at the start of the Jersey shore.
The jetty and the sea wall had bashed
his body up by the time they'd found
him. Like mussels on some shiny
jetty rocks.
-
I saw Bruce too; he came by in his
big-deal old Corvette and walked into
the bar. Just like that; people stirred
and all, but it was no big deal. His
place is two miles or so over the
Rumson Road Bridge; Muhlenbrink
Road is how it goes. Romeo and
Juliet. Samson and Delilah.
-
It was later that year that I began
going blind  -  it was slowly at first,
and then it got worse. Now? I do
probably like this darkness better
than the light.

No comments: