Wednesday, March 18, 2020

12,649. ANCIENT MOMENTS

ANCIENT MOMENTS
Here we go 'round the mulberry
bush, again and again. The numbers
are delicate and the ladies are so
careful as they handle the tiny
cards. Each card with someone's
name. It reminded me of 'The
Lottery,' by Shirley Jackson:
Could be called scary, or not.
-
I hid my intentions pretty well, or
so I thought  -  no one seemed to
give me a glance as I entered.
The balloons and the confetti
were at the ready. I was reminded
of that time the Clintons had that
huge balloon drop from the ceiling;
at some convention or other, about
500 balloons, falling all at once.
-
Theatrics? I don't know. But they
were jerks no matter. And now, I
also remember 99 Luft Balloons,
by Nena. Now it's in my head.
Could be called scary, or not.

No comments: