Thursday, March 5, 2020

12,613. SERVICE

SERVICE
Never meaning to be a Postmaster,
I only took this job because someone
offered it to me. Now, 31 years later,
alone, they call me that, and, it seems,
for everything else too. When the stamp
machine runs out of paper, or jams up
the receipts; when some kids gets sick
in line, and the mother starts complaining.
They call me. Nothing I can do but listen. I
didn't make the line, but no one understands.
These towns grow, and the need for this
advances, but nothing ever gets improved.
-
Stop and think : The postal service is now
probably the most archaic thing left in this
country  -  we still do so much by hand,
one small task at a time. Stamps, money
order, special-receipt letters, returns,
holds, and money order too. What
else can I do?

No comments: