Wednesday, March 11, 2020

12,628. GUY IN THE DESIREE HAT

GUY IN THE DESIREE HAT
He said he can't go to Europe
and he can't go hunting. Any more
just about nothing to do. He wears
this hat  -  he notes  -  in protest.
Two ironworkers come in. I know
these guys, and see them around.
Their Summer tees show the big
logo, and they're boisterously
proud of their stuff. They sit and
start joking; one guy slightly hits
the other, a shoulder jab, no big
deal. The barmaid comes over,
Kitty, they call her, and she says
'You boys cut it out now and get
to drinking, OK?' The guy in the
desiree hat is staring at his beer,
and when he looks up it's just to
say, 'Not them again; they're here?'
They've has some sort of run-in 
before. This land is the land of
the law, and more. I get up, and
telling him it's time for me to
go, stand away, needling the chair
with my leg. All goes well, and
I'm gone.

No comments: