Monday, March 23, 2020

12,663. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,002

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,002
(filling spaces with old new things)
I don't think a person should
go along berating themselves
for things done or not done.
After all, retrospective viewpoints
add little to the forefront, it's all
about the rearward view. In
the case here of what I'm writing
about, I had NYC at my fingertips,
in a wide, opening, world, but I
availed myself very little of its
resources or opportunities. My
father, as I recall, had a great
fascination for Bakelite. I think
it was an early forerunner, or
maybe just a heavier, black, 
version of, plastic. It was thick,
often used for radio bodies and
things like that, and then I guess 
they began dying it, for color.
Maybe too it got some automotive
use. I can remember it pretty well,
as it often broke off, in small slabs,
at the corner, so that often a radio
or clock-body would have a chip
or a broken piece at the corner or
end. I suppose it was a brittle
mix, baked hard. Kind of cool.
-
I used to think that was what
experience was like. Broken off
remnants of things done; a person
could horde and treasure the chips,
or just throw them away. In the case
of my father, it was all different,
since probably for his generation it
appeared the same as a wonder-drug or
new and daring concoction. By my kid
days it was already old hat, and then
by 1960, the lighter plastics were
well-established  -  transistor radios,
everything more portable. Even the
old, black, heavy telephones, with
receivers, and ear pieces and mouth
pieces too, were replaced. That must
have appeared as a quickly fleeting,
new but already old, world to him.
-
When I got to NYC, everything was
like that for me. Alterable, in a fairly
stringent mish-mash between old and
new. When I see photos now of the
older, 1967 days, I'm amazed by the
cars and things I see that were still
on the streets of New York. Those
old hump-backed Hudsons and
Buicks, cars of the early 1950's and
1948/49, were really then not
yet 20 years old, still in use, and
fairly prevalent. Pretty amazing. To
understand a modern world correctly,
you have to be living it. Then, like
now, I wasn't living it; the spaces
I was in were still old. Old spaces
have different shapes and depths,
the idea of 'room' is different. If
you've ever walked through a home
or a building from the 19-teens or
before, you'll know what I mean.
Not just ceiling heights and wood
finishes; there are other things too.
Dividers between rooms were different,
hallways and lobbies, the expanse of
glass, windows, everything of that
nature bespeaks a different working
view of the idea of world and space.
Double-glass-doors between rooms,
social area settings, etc. The Studio
School itself was a prime example of
any of this  - a great swirling center 
staircase, rear-glass doors to a center
courtyard, great winding and confined
staircases between the three interlocked
buildings. Railings, corners and edging.
Everything was from somewhere else,
some hazy other-world of time and space.
A Teddy Roosevelt/ Woodrow Wilson
wrestling match of different things. I
was often silent. Speechless; just taking
it all in. Life, in that respect, was good.
I was growing, expanding my own
horizons as I made them up. Filling
spaces with old new things.
-
So, what does one do with any  of this
information flowing through their mind?
I took mine and kept it personal and
kept it small. At the Studio School,
I was living in a basement spot with
a small area where often enough
others came by to sit around. It
was in that space, which  -  by itself  -
was enough to teach me of the old,
as I mingled with the new. There
were lots of differing attitudes
there. Money and ideas which
were just plain different to the
New York crowd, used to a
completely different level of
existence than what I'd ever 
faced off. Mostly these weren't
the green-lawn and bicycles sort
of people. They were more used to
having privileged spaces, vast
interiors, pre-war apartments,
probably doormen and a father
with titles and degrees. Careers
and professionals. As they talked
I could tell the differences that
were so apparent. I have no idea
what I may have looked like to 
them. One guy gave me a
sandwich one day, and then
audaciously remarked on how
quickly I'd consumed it!
Hunger talks, nobody walks.
-
It was probably at the point too
that I realized a lot of this 'Art'
stuff, to them, was just a form
of slumming. Like a scholar reading
'On the Road' and pretending it was
great. ('Scholars' always hate, or
hated, that book, thinking it represent
the classes beneath them, screwing
through life). It was the same way
they all viewed the 1940's NY Art
scene  -  distasteful and rude. 'Cedar
Tavern? How gross; what were
those people thinking.' I could
almost read their thoughts. It
was impossible, or seemed so,
for them to separate status and
rank from anything else. Art, for
them, did not stand alone at all.
It was 'part' of the better-living
ethos, and if it was really good
it could bring you a ton of money
from your old-network connections
of the monied buyers and the
prideful collectors your parents
probably already knew. It seemed
like the table was always already
set for them. In that respect
there was no sense in working 
hard. They were hardly working.
It all had already made sense to 
them. By contrast, my continuing
muddle was my own, without any
real resources except for those
I'd maybe be able to dig up.

No comments: