Sunday, March 8, 2020

12,622. ADVENTURES WITH DOC HENKEL

ADVENTURES WITH DOC HENKEL
The Doctor Henkel said, sitting back
in his leather chair, 'You'll want to pull
yourself in a little, and not be so outward
with your arguments and opinions. Do
you think you could manage that?' I
simply nodded NO. Not really a nod,
I guess; that's more a shake-the-head
thing. A motion I cannot here clarify.
I said, "I want to be sure others know
where I stand; I hate that wishy-washy
stuff, where the next thing you know
you're agreeing with something you
don't agree with just for the sake of
comity.' I immediately realized, that
if I'd not spoken carefully he could
possibly mishear that as 'comedy' and
I then have to waste another hour of
slow but breathless talk with him over
that as an issue. Another hundred and
sixty bucks down the tubes. He then, 
just a bit, straightened and, I thought,
tensed. 'You mean to say you're going
to try and just laugh all this off?'..
Oh boy, there went that idea.

No comments: