Thursday, March 19, 2020

12,653. RUDIMENTS, pt. 998

RUDIMENTS, pt. 998
(I wondered what we were drinking)
I always liked the idea of
bright eyes, but it always
seemed to entail a toil too.
I never wanted the toil, and
boy did I grow tired of that.
Like in the bible, those Jewish
captives in Egypt, making by
forced labor a million bricks,
and then complaining about
it, and being told, in return,
that their limit was being
increased and, in addition,
no longer was their straw for
the brick-mix going to be
supplied them; they'd have to
make or get their own straw.
So says Pharaoh. It's hardly
worth the price to complain.
-
I always liked the word lacuna.
It sort of means like a 'dead spot.'
It stayed with me, as some certain
words always did. Halcyon was
another, except I always got it
wrong, or most often, by thinking
it was halycon. It's supposed to
mean like 'happiness' or great
success. In the same vein as
bright eyes. None of that ever
worked for me. But for lacuna,
here's an example  - in the
seminary, once, maybe twice, in
all that time,. I can remember
being sick. Fever, maybe a
minor flu, etc. All it entailed
was letting the Monitor know,
maybe getting checked out, and
then you never left your bed the
whole day. A sick day, but for
sure. In the dorm. In your bed;
(We had like metal, military,
cots, all in a row). But here's
where my lacuna kicks in, or
takes itself  -  I can't remember
anything about those instances.
I guess I slept; got aspirins?
Did someone bring meals, on
a tray? Did I get up, allowed to
use the bathroom areas, a long
hallway-walk away? I cannot
recall a thing. Dead-spot.
-
It's just stuff that like that made
me stand out, or even stand-offish.
Much like the soil in the seminary
areas. We used to walk a lot, just
traipsing around through the old
piney woods out back of the place.
Nothing was paved, any homes
along the way were cinder-block
shanties, more or less, with cars
left around, things everywhere, and
occasional piney kids in the yards.
Maybe. The town  of Blackwood
or Runnemede, or whatever it was,
they used it also, out there, the area,
for their town garage and town dump,
and some sewage stuff too. There
were a number of funny towns in
the area that sort of converged in
these deep pine woods, so I'm not
sure what was where  - Berlin,
Runnemede, Blackwood, Clementon,
Hickstown, Grenloch. I really can't
hardly recall. It was all walkable,
and with a few miles, and, back 
then, all raw and rural and you
wouldn't believe it now if you saw
it. On a map now, our old place is
simply labeled 'Camden Community
College,' which is what use it has
today, amidst a million condos and
parking lot and dumb-ass franchise
and chain stores. Everything of
my day has been torn down and
replaced with modern college-style
communist-looking buildings
and grounds. Nothing was paved.
Nothing, then. What I meant to say,
about the soil, was that I'd never
been in a place before where there
was none. Soil. Everything was sand,
and the fir trees there grew on it.
Pitch pines, dwarf pines, whatever.
There weren't any, or not many
things I was used to, like oaks and
elms. It was a wonderment, and I
never exactly liked it or got used to
it. Like I said, we did a lot of walking,
so I got to see lots of it, plus, on the
'track team' stuff, I used to be able
to run two or three miles out, and
then back, on any of the sandy,
woody, pine-forested trails. It was
really cool. I loved the air, and the
light, and the sound. I got to know
where the oddball houses were,
who lived in them, what they'd
probably be doing, etc. And I have
to admit, I also knew which ones
had girls in them, the kind my age or
a bit older. I was always infatuated.
So sue me.
-
Cinder-block houses I could never
quite figure out. I guess it meant no
basements, for they seemed to have
just been built where the blocks were
piled. On the sandy soil, not in it. They
never sagged or anything, but they
were pretty ugly  -  usually in these
horrid shades of blue or yellow,
added to here and there with weird
wooden additions or lean-to's attached,
with cars or workshops in them and
lots of junk all over. It was the early
1960's, so I don't know what the 
town enforcement or the zonings 
were like. Maybe there was none.
Occasionally there'd be large trucks,
dump-trucks or garbage-rigs, slowly
rolling along. I think they dropped
stuff off in the far-back areas. And
there was a bulldozer or a grader
or something, sometimes there just
rolling over the hills of trash, leveling
things out. The locals had this odd
tradition too of hanging their girlfriend's
panties, after conquest, from a tree limb.
Yeah. weird. I won't go into it right
now, but it was maddening too. My
friend Leo Benjamin knew all about 
it, and clued me in. (I don't wish 
frustrated teen boyhood on anyone).
-
Unawares to me, and I only learned 
of it later, we had a gun club or 
marksmanship team going on too.
I ran across their target-shooting
range one day in the seeming
middle of nowhere. But I never
saw or heard them in action, though
the place and the targets seemed
pretty shot up. It always baffled 
me, because I never heard about 
it or saw it announced or listed
anywhere. That was pretty odd;
I did know of an archery thing, 
and once or twice took part in it.
That's what was weird about the
seminary too  -  all these sports
things, which you not right off
think about in  a place like that. It
seemed they did everything they
could to keep teen-boy minds
and hands busy and occupied. I
figure it was all in a plan-book
somewhere, carefully delineated.
None of it ever bothered me. I
was always fascinated : Sandy
soil, sandy flats, water in little
streams that often ran copper-red,
denoting some bizarre iron content
in the water. They used to make
bog iron there, in the colonial days.
The water was running red because
of that once-valued iron content.
I wondered what we were drinking.
-
There's always a sense to things
of 'History' being all around you.
There was there here too but the
area was, in most respects, so
otherwise barren that you'd
wonder how anything could ever
have happened. It was quiet,
always quiet; everything was
in place, but never was there
any activity. I never really
saw family stuff, or the cars 
moving along, or people at
the task of moving things, 
groceries or whatever. Out
in the far-back, the worked
environment was simply one
of living in sandy isolation. 
I'm certain no one cared about
home furnishings, curtains, 
or decoration or any of that.
Such a world, then, was so
completely different from what
one sees today as to be poles
apart. I had never lived like
that before: sand, sandy roads,
isolation, rules, timed and
programmed days. It was all
new stuff to me. Wondering
why was no help at all.








No comments: