Tuesday, March 17, 2020

12,645. WHEN THE FINGERS FALL FROM THE HAND

WHEN THE FINGERS 
FALL FROM THE HAND
The Devil lives on Easy Street, and I want
out of here. People talk of surface gems,
wincing metaphorically while searching
out supplies. These dead? Pile them, please
up on the pyre nearby and we will light it
later. Ventilator, alligator.
-
Carmine the sainted butcher has fallen
to the plague, again. His sister Annalisa
will soon follow. Perhaps it's payback for
selling meat? Payback? No one ever
thinks of that.
-
The kid at the gas station was standing
at my window. He wears a tattoo of 
Neptune's spike long his lower lip, with 
a stud of silver at its top. To end it all 
he has a blue teardrop up alongside his 
eye. I too understand; we all cry.
-
There's nothing more to ask about.
We exchange our information about how
things are going. He says people have
been frantic. I smile back, knowing.
-
I want to say, 'Have you too met the
moment, the tendency to doubt, the man
with forty fingers, that Devil, the monster
underneath all things. He's the one who
put the fire in the gasoline, you know.
Now I must be going...'
-
See you later, alligator.

No comments: