Saturday, March 28, 2020

12,678. THE SAINT WITH THE BELT BUCKLE

THE SAINT WITH 
BELT BUCKLE
Adagio for Saul of Tarsus? Amethyst
fillings and an opaline buckle? What
else can I think of when I see that smile;
all teeth showing, wider than a mile.
Jeremy Jones, the trading card king,
had to close up his vape-shop and
move on. Now it's just an empty
space where guys used to hang.
-
The big man pulls up in his Ford,
then steps out and looks around. 
Across the street is a Lotto stand;
five people in a row, buying or
scratching off. It's a crazy scene,
and above their head some screen
keeps flashing instant results. But
I see no one looking up. This
whole life is a sorry play.
There's a house-painter's truck at
the corner, and another too, dark
blue; it says Petro Fuel on the side.
The house-painter guy looks too
bored to be real. I keep walking,
and that's just how I feel.

No comments: