Sunday, March 15, 2020

12,638. RUDIMENTS, pt. 993

RUDIMENTS, pt. 993
(life's funny mysteries)
Initially, I had little idea
of basic things. I washed
my face, but that was as
far as anything special
went. Kids don't much care
about that stuff, normal
boy-kids anyway. We'd play
outside or kill each other
in weird and furious football
games, or have scratch-team
baseball tournies at the
school year. Just plain old
sweat never meant much.
Thirst? Mostly we drank
whatever water we could
get from the nearest hose.
That's all considered gross
now; everyone walks around
with their own little bottles of
special water, and claim that
any warm hose water gives
dysentery or something. For
the life of me I can't remember
any special stuff about washing
up, showers, or even changing
clothes a lot. I guess it all did
occur, but I was on remote.
Anyway, once I did get to the
seminary, it got instantly crazy.
First, at home, we got, the
Summer before it started, this
weird list of things to bring.
It was an eye-opener : the
number of dress shirts, white
shirts, pairs of pants (they were
never a 'pair,' and it just meant
one pants, but I never figured
that. I always figured, if they're
going to call them pants, plural,
and a 'pair,' they must really
just mean legs, of which each
pants has two). It was like 12
pairs of pants, 18 dress shirts;
crazy stuff I'd never heard of.
Plus the usual socks, underwear,
shoes, sneakers, gym stuff. I
had never given a second thought
to any of that crap. My mother got
frantic over cost. My father just
made a face, like about guy things
that never go like this. He kind
of hated this entire scene; thought
he'd lost a son to the effeminate
side of the holly-roller contingent.
(He really didn't. I was still 'Manly').
-
He was more right than he knew
though; all this seminary stuff was
pretty futzy. I particularly recall
the difference that I learned about
fabrics. No one even had to point
it out. All my clothes were junky;
cheap fabric, secondary weaves
and sheens; everything simply
looked ratty up against these
wealthier guys who'd have coarse
weave white Oxford shirts, great
fit, collars with nice buttons, cool
looking belts and shoes. Pants that
were always classy and well-fitting.
By contrast I was a class-A mistake;
a clothing slob. Probably Leo
Benjamin, from Maine, ran an
equal second to me. He didn't care
about that stuff either, and I'm sure
his home-life up in Maine didn't
include any of that elitist and
class-conscious clothing stuff.
BUT, a lot of that was what they
were about. I can't call it pretense,
because I really think their aims
were good, clear, and pure. It was
just a part of that (somehow)
proper and traditional schoolboy
stuff, with headmasters and staid
procedures and all, except that
in this case it also had a strong
line into the Papist and Catholic
operative traditions. Oddly enough,
in this case too it also allowed
Broadway show tunes, folk music,
jazz, and whatever else there was,
though I really never did hear
classical music except for liturgical
stuff. We, in turn, had to live all
this in shirts and ties, like little
rich kids; sport jackets and the
whole bit. It was, need I say
again, crazy. I don't know if
you may know what Gregorian
Chant is, but we did that too!
It's a cool, polyphonic kind of
multi-layered voice chant, in
Latin. Unless you knew the
Latin we were learning, or had
this church stuff memorized,
you wouldn't really catch on
to what the words were about,
but it sure sounded cool. Some
of the time anyway. I used to
wonder if it ever had been done
in English, and then I'd think of
an equivalent to it, surely though
dispersing the magic. It would be
about on par, with 230 voices,
singing at once, in different levels
and pitch to : "Ralph took the hammer,
and has he gone up to the Lord,
where I too will dwell, with hope of
my someday soon, and he prepares
to meet the Lord and Savior. May
I meet Him too..." It went like that.
High-minded and seriously religious
stuff. Catacombs, caves, and hidden
Christian enclaves in ancient Rome.
On some days it was all just pretty
stunning; I could almost imagine
those voices and people getting
thrown to the lions.
-
In the seminary, this entire hygiene
and cleanliness thing came to the
fore too. Not just laundry, which
was seemingly endless. Some crazy
laundry service truck would come,
weekly, like Mondays, and the
Laundry Crew (we all got assigned
to it on rotating schedules), would
have to heave everyone's laundry bags
down a few flights of stairs and help
load the big laundry truck, and then
in a few days it would come back, and
we'd have to get them all out and readied
for distribution. We each had to keep a
little bank account of our own, at the 
office 'bank,' and this laundry service 
thing came  out of that, like 7 bucks a
week maybe; it varied too.  Everyone,
using that initial clothing list, also
had to have a laundry bag of their
own, or two, for this weekly task.
AND, every piece of personal
clothing  -  every  -  had to have
your name tag on it. My mother
and my aunt did that all Summer
before I left  -  ordered name tags
and tediously sewed them into or
onto each piece of clothing. As if
was some famous designer, like
Ralph Lauren or something, with
my name on each piece. It was
funny, but real.
-
After I left there, also kind of a
funny thing, I'd keep wearing
items of clothing that had my
name tag in them. It would bring
back a weird shock of recognition,
until, and when, eventually as
clothing dwindled or got cast
away, I realized there was nothing
any more, that I was wearing,
which still had a name tag. That
was weird, as I wondered where,
and how, all these things had gone.
One of life's mysteries, I guess.
Like soap getting smaller; or like
that water, from the hose, always
tasting at first like rubber.


No comments: