Friday, March 6, 2020

12,614. RUDIMENTS, pt. 984

RUDIMENTS, pt. 984
(if my heart's ever in it)
There was always something
lackluster about my performance,
what it was. My full attention
or heart was never into it, mainly
because I'd never reached a
point at which equilibrium set
in and made things manifest
their 'value.' I had a philosophy
session once, among friends,
with whom I talked about this,
and though it helped a little,
none of it still made any
grand conclusion pop up for
me. These little discussions
sometimes helped, and I often
took their spirited ideas and
from them, and erected my own
guided conclusions, etc. We'd be
sitting around, just kicking ideas
over, examining assumptions,
and talking of things. It was
all still struggling along, and
not much else, though many
times it made the 'struggle' of
life seem easier. I forget how
we framed it all or got to the
point of the 'value' of things,
but what I came away with,
and still remember well, was
a conclusion that hinged on
the 'intrinsic value' of a screw
driver. The tool, not the drink.
The point was, or turned around
on, the idea that if I considered,
say, a screwdriver, without value,
having none, and because of that
then based a complete loss of faith
in things around me, I should, in
order to prove to myself the 'value'
of a screwdriver  -  which I was
claiming to miss  -  by trying to
make one myself. Only then
would I see, or be able to see, the
intrinsic value of a screwdriver.
Meaning I could NOT possibly
make one myself. Which I guess
would be true, considering the
machining needed, the precision,
and the grinding and bonding. Yes,
but. One problem that cropped up
was that the approach in that
manner merely took the idea in
monetary or mercantile form,
which wasn't exactly what I had
in mind when first bringing it
up. That was always one of the
problems with these people, the
fact that in many respects they
were dunderheads, only thinking
in that fashion, while my initial
point would have been more
broadly 'conceptual' and spiritual.
Fact of the matter was, as I saw it,
and insisted, any fool with enough
gumption and money and the
requisite skill actually could go
about making screwdrivers, even
if in quantity  -  and probably, yes,
then sell them and profit of the
need of others for the product
provided. OK, that was fine. A
rich-boy Jerry could start a
'Jerry's Screwdriver Factory,'
and have a go. I'd bet his profit
and loss awarenesses would
take him far away from thinking
any about the 'intrinsic' value of
his product. Seven ninety-five
or seventy-nine ninety-nine, it
was still a quality screwdriver;
levels of quality varying.
-
It was, granted, pretty crazy to
go on about things like this, but
I often found myself musing over
the simplest, oddball matters. I
had no real knowledge, at this
time, of Nihilism, but I saw later
that a lot of this was grounded in
some strange form of that  -  like
the subject of digging holes. One
time a friend concluded that he
would ditch everything (actually
he did, by killing himself, but
that was later), never wanted
to read another book in his life,
and that all of it was crazy and
useless  -  and he decided the
only thing he wanted to do was
go live somewhere, far off, and
dig a hole. Just like I said  - 
dig a hole. (These were the
days of Earthworks, and Robert
Smithson, and conceptual art and
all, Michael Heiser and Vito
Acconci too. Much of that had
to do with moving vast quantities
of soil and rocks, into patterns,
etc., so, I guess you could say
it was all about Art, or at least
that was the category I processed
his thought through). He wanted,
somehow, to give everything
else up, in whatever fashion that
gets done, and start and continue
this hole. No matter how large
it got  -  to be done with shovel,
entered and exited too by and
with shovel. Obviously, making
little sense at all, and I called him
an idiot. The deeper one got, the
more it became just plum stupid,
for in order to dig such a hole the
removed dirt would need to be,
well, removed, taken away, right?
The deeper one got the more stupidly
insane and impossible that part of
the idea became. I never got mad
over it, other than calling him an
asshole once or twice over it. I
tried pointing out the pointlessness
of such a quest that required the
continued and more complicated
process of its own removal the
more it progressed, this complicating
and sort of negating its own completion.
What really pissed me off was his
stupid grin when he just said, 'Well,
yes, and that's the point, isn't it!'
I could have smashed his head
with a rock at that instant. Plus I
was, and still am, unable to
determine if he meant that last
crack as a question, or an
exclamation (as I've written it).
Sometimes, I concluded, verbal
philosophy is one freaky dead-end.
-
I guess having one's 'heart' into
it, as I said, gives a lot more
impetus to a task. That's where
society breaks up : At the bottom
it seems are all the misbegotten,
the fools like me, with the efforts
never quite there, doing the tasks
and the toil, mostly, for others;
what's called, in American
textbooks, or what used to be
called such anyway, the 'Service
Sector.' I remember I used to 
read that stuff, in Economics
and Civic kinds of courses, and
whenever they called it that
it used to crack me up. What
they were trying to say was 
about the Mexican chambermaids
cleaning up hotel rooms and
hospitality; the roofers and
painters and car mechanics and
all that. All it was, really, was
segregating by another means, 
the various 'hidden' tiers within
society, tiers and castes, of course,
of what Americans said didn't exist 
here. Was the butcher who cut and
prepared fine meats for the elites
to eat, one of those? Top or bottom?
Upper or lower caste? How did
one divide all that, and keep it?
The serfs who maintained the
rich jerks' yachts, were they
service, or privilege? Could one
ever live without the other? It
was all such a BS merge of
crap. Yet, people swore by
it, studied it  -  and got their
'hearts' into it too. Still though
not forgetting the heart surgeons 
and nurses and all who kept that
going. What were they? How
was it all judged? The 'bottom'
always seemed so much better
to me, farting around and losing
at all times, with unsettled ideas
and the moments of art and writing
that ended up bringing me nothing.
-
Only now, at the far end of the
chute, at the port of exit for this
one leaky, crappy, life, do I just
maybe see what I missed; how
mistaken most of my choices 
were; how it's all come to naught. 
I am left with little, and all those 
sluggos with the layers of double-dip
pensions, IRA's and retirement kitties,
end up getting it all, from the shining 
end of their deadly stick. Well, hell, 
at least I'm alive. Or I am as I'm 
writing this anyway. We'll see 
about tomorrow; if my heart's 
ever in it.




No comments: