Thursday, March 19, 2020

12,651. OUTSIDE THE HUGGINS' HOUSE

OUTSIDE THE HUGGINS'  HOUSE
Jackie was a loser, she always ran
away; her first boyfriend Carl had
the first GTO I ever saw. Whenever
they first came out. Wasn't nothing,
and we called him a hood. She was
good for something,  guess. 3 firsts!
-
Her brother Teddy was a dancer. He got
killed though, in Vietnam. Pretty sure
that he was gay, or going to be anyway.
The other brother, Kenny, worked at the
stock exchange. I guess he took the train
each day, back and forth to work. That
was one of those things, when you're
a kid, you never think about.
-
There was a lot going on right then,
in the outer world, and my head was
spinning. Like Frank O'Hara, when
Lady Dy died. (Not Lady Di died,
this was Lady Day). He wrote this
nicely jagged poem about seeing
the headline in a newspaper box
and pulling up short.
-
That did it for me too. Made me a
writer, sure as I could tie a shoe.
The Huggins' House was a funny
place. But I knew then for sure
that there was more than that
outside the door.

No comments: