Friday, March 27, 2020

12,676. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,006

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,006
(a roomful of LBJ's)
It hit me once or twice that
I was more or less an itinerant,
aimless being  -  from one angle  -
and a mad, crusading prophet, 
from another. The make-up of
my character, the more I thought
about it, could bring me nowhere 
else. I was a walking disaster from 
the outside, but gold inside. Train 
wreck, seminary school, years away, 
a sort return to a home-time not 
worth it, the Satanic drudgery
of finishing a 'high school' in a
curriculum for half-brains, and 
then a getaway as quick and 
gigantic, and silent as anyone 
else's. I entered this fray without 
strict principles except to be
myself and what I was growing, 
into, forming, articulating. 
If that meant, now, messages 
from beyond, I'd take them 
willingly. My cover was Art,
seeking art and a knowledge of
intellectual matter. All about as
random as a starry, starry night's sky,
seems to be but isn't. More paradox,
like grime, on a dirty hand. Lava
Soap to the rescue? A good scrubbing
of all the lines and the recesses.
Of the mind. I wished to be sure
of turning everything inside out.
All  around me the crazy streets
were burning : Draft resistance,
anti-Vietnam protests. A freaking
March 31st LBJ on TV telling
the entire nation he was done,
wanted no more of it, was sick
of the entire mess. I think if he'd
been able to, on national Texas-twang
TV, to tell the entire country to go
fuck itself, he would have. And he
probably could have, actually, but
didn't have the righteous guts. The way
he pulled out that paper and added his
'I'm done' ending was precious. I watched
that  address on some rectangular TV 
screen  somewhere, I forget, but it was a
time when, if you  went in a department 
store or whatever, into their TV section,
you could get like 30 TV's, in a row,
all on at the same time (you were 
supposed to see and compare the
different picture qualities, etc.), a 
roomful of LBJ's all renouncing
their position, cursing the people, 
absconding from any responsibility 
for the dead on both sides. Bodies 
burning. Cities and villages flattened, 
and this big-eared Texas fool says HE
wanted no more of it. Jerk-central; 
and the country fell for it. 
-
The trouble with people like him is, 
and was then, that they were career
politicians, inbred in their thoughts 
and characterized only by their stupid
fervor for implementing Government.
The only lens they ever saw with was
the procedural and check-off lens of
DC process and national approaches.
They were all liars. Dean Rusk.
McNamara. Johnson. Nixon. Henry
Kissinger. Hubert Humphrey. Even
Rostow, Fulbright and Proxmire. Their
combined forces were destroying at 
least 2 countries and trying or more.
Vietnam, the USA, Laos, Thailand.
That whole rim of small and pliant
Asians cultures were getting torn
and shredded. The long list, in
turn, of shattered and twisted 
American boys and men, soon to
have their minds indelibly touched
with process, routine, following
order, commands from fools, turning
on each other, drug use, Godless
sexuality, frustration, anger. The
thinking of a violent workplace
burned into day-after-day skulls.
-
I'd gone from a bouncing ball to just 
a ball. There was little left around me; 
kids were screaming, throwing bags 
of blood at cops, cops pushing back 
with billy clubs, and some with drawn 
guns. (I wanted to draw guns and begin
 handing them out too all I saw).
Parts of the cities burned, Newark, 
Brooklyn, but it really had little to do 
with the 'War,' since mostly, it was all
just a general malaise that was ripping 
everything apart. Mini-skirted, crazy 
girls with their knickers showing at 
every turn. White Jews playing at 
being black revolutionaries, monkey 
boys beating people on the head for 
20 cents. Every value in the world 
had fallen apart. The United State 
of Dismantlement.
-
You know how people say 'If you 
can't tell a whole truth, then don't
tell a half lie, tell a whole one.'  
Meaningless gibberish probably, 
yeah. but people live by these kinds 
of things, A stitch in time saves nine. 
Save it for a rainy day. You don't miss
your water 'til your well runs dry.
That's one of the first things a person 
needs to get over along the way to 
growing up. Those pithy, little
phrases.  The fact that most people 
are full of it, all, crap and distortion. 
In Britain's wartime, and I guess in 
ours here too, the phrase attached to 
lots of things was 'for the duration.' 
Like restaurants that would remain 
closed at night, 'for the duration.'
Or, an added surtax, 'for the duration.' 
It meant to say, 'as long as this bullshit 
war goes on.' Impossible stuff, like
'No eggs will be scrambled, for the 
duration.'
-
I had a form of brain fever, and I
knew it. Down on lower Broadway was
the Draft Board. I hadn't registered,
and had no intention of doing so.
There was some sort of follow-up,
to my parent's house in Avenel,
about my absence and current
whereabouts. My mother bagged
me, evidently telling them, clearly
enough, where I might be found.
Procedural normalcy, and a respect
for Authority, on her part I guess.
Two schmucks came a got me one
day. Just like that. I ended up in
this really gross, pale green, draft
office, being interrogated and
lectured to. I had no idea what
was going on, but judging by
what I saw I realized I was in a
real den of iniquity  -  the most
pathetic-looking group of military
dweezels I'd ever seen; some
uniformed, others note. The office
ladies looked like they hadn't seen
or had a man in 500 years. Drudges.
The whole place need a good reaming.
-
They finally decided that, in
actuality, I wasn't their case, but a
New Jersey case. I had to sign
some papers, answer a bunch of
stupid, ignorant, questions, and
ouch by signature that I report to
the draft board in Perth Amboy
on such and such a date and time.
Penalty of law and all that BS.
These NY guys, right under their 
noses too, had no idea what was
really happening over at 11th street.
As far as Vietnam protest stuff, etc.
If they did, they'd have probably
jailed me. I stayed quiet, saying
little and volunteering nothing.
A week or so later I took a train
and got myself to Perth Amboy.
They decided, on a dime, I was
 cannon-fodder  good enough
for them, and the next thing I knew
I was on my way to Broad Street 
Newark. There was an induction
center in the Federal Building.
By this time it was about 1pm
and, running out of ideas but 
always quick to the draw, I said
'Whoah!'  -  in a roomful of
new inductees being given the
oath after re-clothing their
bodies from the condition of
near nakedness and the bend-over,
cough, and testicle inspection stuff.
-
My selected route out was to feign
madness (feign?). I said I need to see
a psychiatrist, pronto!! I wasn't about
to oathify myself into nothing, sorry.
Sent a floor or two upstairs, I got
3 psychiatrists at once; a bank
of them instead of one. I forget
the entire procedure, but what it
came down to (and at that point it
was as easy as pie. Acting experience,
you know).  I acted psycho, well
enough anyway. I said the first thing
I'd do after being instructed in the
use of a gun would be to turn it
immediately onto the person who'd
just taught me. I neared the large
plate window glass as I spoke.
These guys got freaky. I was
dismissed. In fact, they gave me 
pass for a rail-ride home!
In about 3 weeks I got a 4-F
deferment card in the mail to
Avenel. My clinical condition was
'Anxiety Phobia,' for which, the
note said, I'd be receiving further
referential paperwork to begin
'treatment.' Nothing ever came, or
anyway nothing ever reached me.
Maybe Mom finally did a good deed
and heaved it in the trash.

No comments: