Thursday, April 6, 2017

9366. ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE AN EXTRA DAY

ALWAYS GOOD TO 
HAVE AN EXTRA DAY
Nothing to be lost from this scene : the Jamaican
guy, oddly tall and thin, arrives seeking help.
He'd just locked himself out of his car. 'Well,
if you live close enough I can drive you home,
for your spare key. Do you have one?' No, he
says he doesn't. I suggest a tow-truck or a
locksmith, though they're both probably closed.
He says no, they both start at 80 bucks. So I
do what I can to just say, 'Well I figure the
cops can help you; they have those things
they can stick in the window slide to unlock
the doors.' He says yes, but where?
-
Sometimes you just have to power yourself.
There's a road crew in sight, a thousand feet
off, with a cop car there sitting. I point him over
over to it. (I thought of saying to drive him to say
police headquarters, but why do that? If they
no, he's stranded and he's mine). A few minutes
later, I see him again. Happy and waving!
And then a cop car comes into the lot, right
behind him. He'd gone out to the roadway,
and found there his help. Sometimes it's
good to have an extra day. Other times,
I just lose interest.

No comments: