Saturday, April 22, 2017

9423. IF WE'RE EVEN IN THE SAME TOWN, CLEAR OUT

IF WE'RE EVER IN THE SAME
TOWN, CLEAR OUT
Like Whistler had his bones and Stalin
had his steel, so I come running to you.
My head's on fire and my legs are hot,
can you understand or do you not? I
walked in tonight with Ed O'Brien,
the used-to-be geek who was the chubby
Mayor of my town. Back then. He was
raising Irish whiskey to his chin. All the
lines of double-talk he's ever spoken
were lined up at his lips : 'Yes, it's silly 
season once again, Fat Boy, drink up.'
-
And to think, I was once a friend with
Bert Blyleven too : what a life and
what a game. Now I do nothing but
stand in line  -  50 bucks a day for
jailhouse line-up calls, and ID
procedurals. I'm never the guilty,
just a stand-in for whatever went down.
-
Sure it gets boring, but there are lots of
pretty girls and plenty of papers and
magazines to go through : forget the
phones and hand-held notebooks and
computers. I don't do any of that  -  for
my dumb line of police work, it doesn't go
with my 'age-group.' And yes, they had
the nerve to put it that way, the fools.

However, in all this time I am writing the
novel of the century, even though that's 
fairly preposterous to say this early in
that century  -  but you never know. It's
get everything now needed - the florid
language with a modern touch, the sex and
scandal, even the driverless cars. What the
hell, I'm no fool. Have you ever thought
how what was once a science-fiction story
would now be filed under 'Realism' instead?
-
One time I was reading Arthur C. Clarke.
It was about 1974, and he had a story that
floored me to death : all the phone lines, on
all those poles everywhere, well they began 
listening in on all the words that passed, and
they got together (as phone lines will, I guess)
and planned a way to use all those words and
take over, re-aligning the messages to say other
things. Everywhere. And it worked. And they won,
and took over, and Mankind never knew a thing.

No comments: