Sunday, June 28, 2015

6830. OF A FIRE

OF A FIRE
All I hear are echoes -  and these flames crackling
away. The woods are burning down? Wasn't it
Norman Mailer who wrote, 'Of a Fire on the Moon'?
Yes, it was, about the moon-landing. It was quite a nice 
image; that 'fire' on the moon. The fact that there wasn't 
really one at all didn't mean anything  -  he made reference
to the lift-off of the module back to the command ship.
And then, the Grateful Dead, they hit their gong with
'Fire, Fire On the Mountain.' I always liked that too.
-
So, what is it about fire that brings me here? What
obscure idea must I jettison to tell you what I mean?
Poets aren't supposed to explain, just rather find that
crystalline magic which prospers the image to come right
at your face; to be recognized and be understood, sometimes
without making a smidgen of sense. If it has to be explained,
well, then, one may as well just write prose. Like a guidebook
or an instruction manual instead.
-
I think back now, over these last 10 months or so and realize
there's not a thing I miss : I don't miss the purpose or the ways 
or the people or the reasons or the meanings. I don't miss that 
coffee-shop at morning, or all those sweet girls talking at me,
those guys with their funny hats and lively ways, the black
squirrels who run the campus, the little cops on their one
man scooters scooting over the grass. The annoying people
on the bus or the train. Nothing really at all.
-
It's more like I just miss fire : the fire of ideas, and the fire of
lips and the fire of the hearts I may have seen and touched.
A fire, such as those fires, it stays with me, and goes now 
wherever I go. It doesn't have words; it just burns on.

No comments: