Sunday, June 7, 2015

6738. WHY DOESN'T EVERYTHING?

WHY DOESN'T EVERYTHING?
Why doesn't everything take my breath away, break
my heart in two, roil my mind like an Inquisition?
Why doesn't everything break my bones? Ten
year old wood dries out and curls, the butterfly
dies baked onto the radiator of a car somewhere, 
the mountain laurel is trimmed by those highway
thieves who cut and mow to endless degrees.
Why doesn't everything break my balls?
-
I can't stammer any longer but instead just have to
talk, or behead the statue of that saint with his birds,
or cut down some Jesus from his cross alone. I can
park my machine shop in the halls of the meadow, but 
I can't make it work. The ghost in the garden is the
voice of death : industrial-era production making
nothing at all. Jew-clerks selling pennies for money
to profit; books and cattle, paper and wine.
Why doesn't everything break my bones?
(Why don't I learn what I cannot say?)

No comments: