Monday, June 8, 2015

6742. THE GENTLE NATION OF THIS WORLD


THE GENTLE NATION 
OF THIS WORLD
('and what have you done for me today?')
Here in the valley of the shadow of Death I will
fear no evil. And anyway I am stuck here until
I'm not  -  that rod and that staff, yes, still comfort.
Bring me more squalor to sing of : the broken-down
car in the gutter, in which two men are asleep; the
noise of the cat, swirling with its procreative urge
to further a cathood everywhere. I know that too, and
ride the same force-fields of power and want. On that
sideways porch the fat lady is sitting again with her
towel wet now and thrown around her neck. 'It's how
we stay cool in these parts,' she'd say, while two toddlers
spankingly nearby play. The kid with the can, kicking
around as if another time beckoned and truly without 
a mortal care in this world. Shades drawn, lights down.

No comments: