Sunday, June 7, 2015

6739. I'VE WON THE WILD MACABRE

I'VE WON THE 
WILD MACABRE
My legs are still locked around luck and  -  as
luck would have it  -  I purposely have nothing
to say. An errant constitution is okay. Much like
that Vietnam vet I know on a Staten Island beachfront,
right by the Alice Adams House, I too sit straddling
two worlds. Flags and jackets and weapons and chains;
memories of the ladle, dipping soup for others to taste.
If you get near the guy, he just goes on, starts talking, a
rant for five minutes and another lecture for an hour  -  
how his own country betrayed him and chopped him down;
how's he got nothing left but an old, mad mind; how they
send people out now to try and round him up, take him
in; except that's what he thought he fought for, the right 
to do this, live like that, be this way. He's dismayed.
I'm OK? What's the difference anyway? I can come 
and, I guess, but he's for free and I have to pay.
I've won the wild macabre, I live on a new
frontier, I count my blessings in a hand
of goodness and a suit of gold.
My legs are still locked
around luck.

No comments: