Saturday, October 26, 2019

12,231. RUDIMENTS, pt. 850

RUDIMENTS, pt 850
(catch as catch can)
I used to think I had it made;
and then it went away. I
haven't felt that way in 45
years, I'd bet. Now I never
approach things in that light.
I just figure that, even as
bad as it all gets, if I just
keep screwing people to
the ground, eventually the
screws become permanent
and hit into something that
holds it there. Pay dirt. Solid
meat. That 'got it, there,' feel.
For myself, I accelerated a
lot of things  -  got sex out
of the way early, while other
kids were still struggling
over all that. The same with
romancing, having a kid,
buying a house. I was done
early on. It sounds stupid
now, but it got me to able
to move along with other
things. Getting scrunched
by a train at age 8 really
moves things along, I guess.
My fortitude was splendid,
in face of all the other bum
things that transpired.
-
I saw some real misery 'round:
in the country, Pennsylvania,
Elmira, and then the streets of
NYC too; it took exposure to
that to get me to decide what
NOT to do, what to steer clear
of anyway. I kept seeing adults
falling backwards instead of
progressing. When I was a kid,
Halloween say, was one day of
a sort of half BS happening :
You'd get a mask and maybe a
pillow case, and go tromping
around for five or six hours
door to door; soaping windows,
taking air out of people's tires;
abusing them verbally if you
didn't like the stuff they gave
out. We weren't cool. Wrecking
mailbox posts, putting dogshit
in a paper bag and leaving it on
people's porches (concrete),
lighting it aflame, ringing the
bell, and taking off. The deal
was they'd come out, see the
flaming bag, stomp it out, and
get dogshit all over. Har. Har.
Halloween.
-
It was all the low-grade comedy,
class B holiday you'd quickly
forget about. Now it's not. Now
it seems adults never leave it
behind  -  there are 'stores' for
Halloween up and down the
highways. Child-like adults
now take this crap seriously,
and carry baby-Halloween
stuff well into their 40's. Beats
me why they just don't let
that go and forget about the
whole stupid thing. It seems
indicative to me of a lessening
of the degree of intensity that
people give towards their lives.
You can't just do baby-talk
stuff all your life. In fact,
churchgoers and Bible touters,
1 Corinthians 13, I think it is,
says "When I was a child, I
spoke as a child, I understood
as a child, but when I became a
man I put away childish things."
Now really, that has to mean
something in the greater run
of things. There's a basic
understanding there that
cannot be ignored. I'm
going to say it's important.
I don't like when I see adults
acting as kids. When I worked
at Barnes & Noble, Halloween
kids in their late and mid 20's
were holding to the form  - 
big time masks and costumes,
role players, masquerades and
promenades too. Right up
there (down there?) but a
little older, than the same kids
who endlessly drank their
Harry Potter poison from
their sippy-cups. It was crazy,
and between that and tattoos  -
on mostly the same people  - 
I was kept sadly distracted
from any form of standard
human behavior. It was as if
everyone was Justin Trudeau
(back then). No understanding.
Tattoos are the pits, if looked
at in this light  -  crayola-fabric
living. Tattoo people can never,
it seems, cover up their quality
tattoos  -  thus shorts and
sleeveless tees and things in
20 degree weather. The fair
equivalent of baby clothes;
so you can be constantly
aware of their tedious
self-graffiti.
-
I once took a group of
motorcycle people, about 10
bikes, to a tattoo 'Art' show,
in an art gallery downtown.
It was at the urging of some
'girl' who ended up being a
total pain, pesky and picky.
That's 3 P's, as in Penelope
Paige Piranha. She was
infatuated with the 'idea' 
of the tattoo being gentrified,
meaning not on the stinky
arm of some Popeye sailor,
nor spelling out some crafty
filth or profanity across a
chest (man or woman). No, 
these were 'vintage' tattoo
designs, framed and hanging
as gallery art, maybe 16x20
inches each. It takes a certain
sort of faux-art-gentility, I
felt, to appreciate dainty roses,
dragons, volcanoes, and the like
in wonderful, vivid reds and
purples, blues and yellows.
Tattoo colors (before middle-age
fade). It was a bust, and the trip
was sure a mistake. But let me
proceed some more : 'She rode
her own bike, a Virago or
something (there could be a
pun there too), all fussy and
strict. Never cracking a
smile about anything (she was
from Nutley, which is funny),
and abided by every rule, even
ones not thought up yet. She
had one or two frumpy guys
from there too, on their bikes.
We, on the hand, ran like 
animals, socially lubricated
ourselves with a few beers
before setting out, and infracted
some speed and passing laws 
too. By the time we speedily
got to the gallery (they were
always lagging behind, but NYC
traffic makes that inconsequential),
she was furious. We'd parked on
the sidewalk, wherever we pleased.
(NYC bikes used to do that). She
was all futzy about spots and
meters and the rest. We all went
inside, I honored her request
and lingered with her and her
guys, interested in all this, while
my little contingent went outside
within a 'What the fuck are we
doing here?' attitude, and a 
quickening need for a bar. She,
and they, finally stepped out,
and saw deeply ominous black
clouds, and new winds approaching.
Nasty t'storms were due in, about
4pm. So the Nutley contingent
freaked, and made a bee-line out,
 one especially immediate after we
announced the Sidewalk Cafe as
our next stop (bar/bikes. e6th 
street). They took off, the rains
came, and wind, by which time
we were at Hogs 'n Heifers saloon,
another nasty, booze-filled, biker
pit stop, where we watched the
ferocious winds for some two 
hours, ripping through the streets 
along Washington and 12th, 
tearing down metal signs, and 
flipping over sidewalk display 
things (the winds did, not us).
I found that there's nothing
ever to be experienced as wickedly
cool as a major windstorm in the
midst of a fabled, then crumbly,
westside NYC section of already
half-shot ruins. It's not like that
anymore, because the development
goons have caught up to it all and
ripped to shreds anything that once
was old and miraculous, leftover and
interesting. Mystery and squalor has
mostly been replaced by glass and
swagger.  By 7 o'clock, all was well 
again. I forgot to mention also, it
was Bastille Day, a July, French
holiday  -  which had been the
Nutley's girl's who reason to
want to have a 'celebration.'
-
I said 'catch as catch can' 
remember, and now I need 
to  ask, and realize, how 
and if this behavior, on our 
part, was probably was no 
less childish than adult 
Halloween, but at least
we were making it up as 
we went along, and having 
some fun too. They should
do that in Nutley more often.
-








No comments: