Friday, October 11, 2019

12,181. RUDIMENTS, pt. 834

RUDIMENTS, pt. 834
(non-union, if you must know)
One of the things that
Authority does  -  and
I'll point this out just
briefly  -  is pit the
underclasses against
one another. You may
laugh, sure; it's OK.
I've often been a voice
crying in the wilderness,
so it never bothers me.
Back at the old, ratty
Maple Tree Tavern, a
good number of those
motorcycle guys who
came and went were
often in the midst of
these oddball grudge
matches  -  one against
the other. For no reason
except the divisive hit
and hate tactics engendered.
It went funny, and I saw it
any number of times. I can
think of two instances right
off the bat. These guys were
hard workers, and skilled in
an unskilled way. One time, a
few of the welder guys were
there and they were taking
out at another welder guy,
who wasn't even present,
for being 'non-union.' The
same thing went with a few
of the others, carpenter guys,
who were non-union and one
guy had a beef at that, as a
union carpenter. Now, I
agree there are differences
there, but at heart one is
still a welder or a carpenter.
Working for the man, as it
were, and while one is there
sitting and slobbering over
endless Budweisers it never
made any sense to me to take
out after the other fellow
like that. It's kind of the point
of view that Management
would be happy to see you
fall into, fronting for them
as Authority would have,
and either way  -  the
'Authority' of Management,
which wouldn't seek to unionize,
and the 'Authority' of Union,
which would love to have
everyone in  -  the better to
milk the union guy with
dues and duties for 25 years
and then throw back a
guaranteed pension with the
funds THEY have been sitting
on for all those years  -  kind
of like a discursive and less
benign Social Security  -  are
happy. You're still doing
their bidding, for them. When
was the last time you ever saw
anyone in union management
going hungry, or without a
beachfront second home?
Go on, I'm asking. Either
way, YOU as the worker are
getting duped. End result?
One ends up at the Maple
Tree or its equivalent
somewhere, with maybe
a shiny, new motorcycle
and all the doo-dads that
go with it, but you're there
beefing out your fellow
worker. I never got that one.
-
The Maple Tree wasn't certainly
any sort of place to brag about,
and neither was Simcoe's or
Hank's or The Pioneer, or Flip's.
And my screwed-up list could
go on and on. I drinked at 'em
all! Top of the state to the dinky
bottom of the state, and out of
state too. What was it all worth?
I don't know  -  to my mind way
too many flags and salutes and
false patriotism and beer muscles
too. But, the class struggle went
round, all without anyone ever
even knowing it. In our own
ways, we were unwitting fools.
-
Back whenever it was, I was in
maybe 6th grade, and everyone
was always using the 'Mimeo'
machine. It made like weird,
light blue duplicate copies; we
often get tests printed out on
them. The paper always had
some  odd aroma that I liked
more than the test printed on
it. And around about that same
time there was some really
lame, angst-ridden movie
about the 'teen-age' problem;
all that angst and groaning
among kids  -  and a lot of it
was, it always seemed, tied up
(no pun) with sexual tension.
There was a guy, an actor,
named Sal Mineo, and of
course I always thought of
him as Sal Mimeo  -  a hundred
crummy copies of his own
self everywhere. (He later
got killed, in real life, in a
stabbing; I think maybe in
L.A., and I think too it may
have been some gay-lover-
quarrel stuff too). But anyway,
those 'school' movies of that
day really annoyed me. My
mother was always after me,
my father too, about that  -
delinquency, gangs, all that
'going bad' stuff. It was a real
pain, but those school movies
irked worse  -  'Blackboard
Jungle,' or maybe 'Up the Down
Staircase.' And like the really
worst one was 'To Sir, With
Love,' later on  -  some blimey
English crap about school,
all sweetness and mirth and
goofy, swooning, girl stuff.
All this garbage was so off
base, and adults of that time
were just so intensely stupid,
that it was apparent these
films were nothing more
than attempts at socialization
and soft coercion. No one
could even own up to what
they were doing  -  cold-pressing
an entire new generation of
roustabouts into the usual
straitjackets. My God, I used
to think, for this crap our fathers
and uncles fought to the finish
all around the world  -  guns,
bombs, and bullets? It sure
never seemed worth it to me.
-
All I ever wanted out of this
life was a decent finish : I'd 
spend lots of hours in 
contemplation, or writing in 
this useless tiny scrawl too
small even for ants; notebooks
of stuff, about theater and
playwrights, Jean Anhouil, Jean
Genet, Jean-Paul Sarte, Bertolt
Brecht, Frederick Durenmatt .
It all went on forever and I was 
often as aimless as a critter. I 
went through Peter Handke 
until I no longer could. I 
studied philosophy, theory, 
esoterica, folklore, literature,
and all sorts of crap until I was
delirious. And then I came to
the conclusion that no matter 
how much of this I did, there 
was always going to be more, 
and it was never going to be 
mine; so I just turned it over to 
my own stuff, strictly, and kept
it at that. I'd somehow finally
found a voice. It was late by then,
1997, 1998, but that was about
that time I finally felt firm footing
and a general, steady, and good
flow of words, information, and
inspiration too.  Non-union, if you
blokes really need to know.





No comments: