Monday, October 21, 2019

12,214. RUDIMENTS, pt. 844

RUDIMENTS, pt. 844
(a lucky break for me)
If I had to put together a
list of the very ordinary things
which happened to me alongside
a list of the more odd and the
quirky, I'm sure it would be
lopsided for the latter. My
normal moments were fewer
by far. One center of my
activity was Tompkins
Square, and its park. There
really is no 'Square' it's just
more a park and I'm not
sure how the designation
of 'Square' got mixed in.
All I know are the rows of
geezers that used to be
sitting about waiting to
expire. Heavy cloth coats,
canes, squints, chilled
stares and glances, big shoes.
A conglomeration of all the
Euro and postwar old-world
stuff of books and cliche you'd
ever imagine. I'd imagine, and
to be sure, they're all dead now.
Whatever the lives of memory
and fear they were living are
all over now, and all their kids
and grandkids probably people
Long Island. Little trace is left
there now  -  blacks and Puerto
Ricans, at first, back then, peopled
the park, almost forcing these
oldsters aside, yet they lingered.
It's was a poor people's Versailles.
Now there's a very active Charlie
Parker Jazz Fest there, or was
last I knew anyway, each Summer,
for a big weekend. I went once or
twice, and its was disgruntlement,
noise, bad amplification, beggars,
cranks, and what used to be called
'undesirables' at liberty for their
day out of cages. Crack kids and
AIDS babies too. Slowly now,
like an infusion of serum, the
gentrification trickles in.
-
The poor oldsters were stupified,
living in their minds their Europe
of old : tattoo'd numbers on forearms
(saw enough of that), concentrations
of the concentration camp remnants.
All of that, and then this! Part of
imprisonment is the imprisoning of
the mind, and  -  sadly  -  for many
of these folk, I don't think they
were ever able to leave their
nightmare; like an old film,
replaying and recurring in
their brain. Tick. Tock. Tick.
Hours running on. As I saw it,
there wasn't any way into these
people's minds unless you'd already
known them beforehand or if they
were family members. Somehow, by
1967, this lower east side had been
peppered with survivors. Behind
them, where they sat, was another
memorial pillar to another disaster,
the General Slocum fire and sinking,
which boat and disaster had killed
so many of the locals and kids, and
destroyed then the older German
community which once had been
here, and which had then fled, in
its own grief, almost en masse,
up to the new German community
in the Yorkville section, east 90's.
Weirdly enough, and I do mean
that, 45 years later all these sad
immigrant Jews sat around in the
same community of benches and
trees which had once housed all
those Germans, who had just
destroyed them! If life is a nice,
sweet orange, it sure has some
wicked skin to peel.
-
Needless to say, once I added all
this up, I was again stunned. What
sort of oddball divine justice did
this all come down too? In no
different a way than embracing a
Creator who would create a
million beautiful things, flora,
fauna, and Humans too, and then,
in a fit of pique, destroy it all,
whether by some bizarre cosmic
collision at the expense of
dinosaurs and global life....and
then, even more incredibly, begin
it all anew with no changing of
the original, evidently faulty,
design, and walk away, for the
blemishes of Evil and Greed to
take over, and then to dip back in
and send a 'Son' to die inhumanely
human, to redeem and salvage,
supposedly the same cruddy
mess again, so too these poor
folk sat in the same blood-mess
of the old German ghetto, after
being tortured and shredded, by
these very people! I was surely
ready for the booby hatch myself.
-
Thankfully, after a while a person
just stops thinking and instead
goes with the moment he or she
is in. My first few nights in that
park involved sleeping on the grass
and playing bongos along with
whatever group of Spanish guys
would be jamming on the grass or
at the bandshell. No one ever said
for me to get lost, beat it (no pun
there, but it coulda' been so). I was
just taken in like another fly on
an old piece of fruit. I'd say it was
pretty much at that moment that
I re-defined myself into a newer
variation of one-life-to-live. All
that had been presented before
me as life and meaning and the
'way' of doing things just fell
off, over, to the wayside. My
new Baptism, right then, was of
a Spanish accented embroidery
that took in, incredibly, levels
of freedom and action which
no longer bore referential paths
back to what I'd been before. 
Island living always bears a
completely different feel, and 
these were island people,
Puerto Rico, Hispaniola, or 
Manhattan;  take your pick. They
just lived it all differently. This
was a brief, shining moment,
perhaps 3 weeks at the most,
before the more normal regularity
of reality set in  -  where I was
and what I was going to have 
to do. In retrospect, now, all these
years later, I can clearly see how
such a 'moment' in time is much
the same, in such situations, for
everyone : the newly transplanted
wonder of somewhere new and
somewhere else, the expectations
that come with all the brash 
newness, and the balancing of
what one sees against what one
had expected. It's a very heightened
time of bright light, and as if
almost nothing can go wrong.
Until.
-
As tired and beleaguered as the
old people seemed, those Spanish
guys seemed seemed totally festive
and energetic and without end.
Stand-up drums, Santana-like
solos, fearsome guitar riffs, wild
and pounding refrains and all
the fire of the pounding other
world seemed concentrated into
the very vivid park pulse, and it
all just went on forever. I never
said a word, and by the end of
the first long afternoon, from
the edges of the bongo drums, 
my fingers and fingertips were 
raw, even bloody, and tender 
and red. It was the craziest thing.
It was even crazier that, with 
the paltry collection nothing 
I'd brought with me for this 
new life, those silly drums were
among my park possessions.
A lucky break, somehow, for me.



No comments: