Saturday, October 5, 2019

12,168. RUDIMENTS, pt. 830

RUDIMENTS, pt. 830
(early stages of veneration)
Men always annoyed me; that
whole 'male' thing I could never
catch up to. I was way partial to
Winter girls, lost in their big,
cloth jackets. It was almost as
if I wanted a role in some large
Russian movie  -  snowflakes
in the air, landing on coats and
hats and jackets with only a
faint female face showing, and
some snow-dusted snow. By
contrast, the male was all
unthinking bluster; stomping
and brushing to be rid of all
that snow. In the two trains of
thought, that same process had
its effect. I don't think I ever saw
a man, reticent to proceed, step
back to thoughtfully consider
something before making a
choice. The money-bet for them
was always in the 'do,' the 'act.'
I realized the wasn't me at all;
I was thoughtful and sensitive,
both of which I was instructed
on, were 'feminine' attributes.
Boy, was I ahead of that curve.
-
As it turned out, within the
physical world that wasn't true
at all. I could roust and prowl
with the best of them. But it
was  -  and this is where things
got different  -  at the internal
level where I remained all the
outsider, the sensitive, the watcher,
the viewer. Not voyeur, by the
way, that wouldn't fit. My stance
wasn't quite like that. I did have
a certain bluster and stamina,
and sloppiness and haphazardness,
that was not in any way feminine.
I could be a blustering fool with
the best of them.
-
Looking back at the life of Jean
Rhys, Carole Angier once said,
'Her life was really just the same
scene repeated over and over again.'
I thought that over for a while,
and decided that was not mine at
all. And then, foolishly, I also
got hung up thinking why anyone
would think to say that something
was the same over and over again?
Wasn't that a writer's overkill?
(Angier was also a writer). It
always seemed, in my own life,
that occurrences were different,
every five minutes.
-
You see, the thing was, at any
one moment there were numerous
things churning  -  that was always
just the way I was. With only two
hands, I could only grab two things,
successfully; anything more was
a scramble and a mad-grab.
-
The early stages of veneration
seem to come easier than does the
staying with it. People have always,
eventually, turned on me. I guess it's
just the way I am. A closet full of
enemies, grown from a thimble full
of friends. How that happened I
never know, but I always stayed
with it, rode the crest, and took
the dive down too. My Studio
School acquaintances and friends
were quickly passing. Some flew
up and a few flew down; the nature
of that game is struggle. What it
afforded me was a glimpse into
another piece of Nature; one I'd
not known about before. It
didn't take words really, and it
didn't take actions  -  we each 
had our own. I guess for me it 
was a strange confluence of 
histories, different places, and 
a few batterings. New York was 
sure a strange place to learn in.
My one friend, Jeff; his father
had started something that was
called The Paperback Exchange.
A string of stores, it was, small
storefronts to which people
brought, or turned in, their
paperback books after reading 
them, and walked out with a
replacement, or another book. I
never figured how it worked; 
maybe it was a club-to-join deal
and then you got the exchange
privilege; but in any case his
father had made a good bundle
on it. Jeff was cool; a little flighty
and mercantile too. He could
talk like there was no tomorrow, 
in fact, on most any subject, if 
you got him going he'd hardly 
ever stop. We finally had a sort 
of falling out, then a few years 
went by, I opened the friendship 
back up, and he returned the deal. 
Cool. By that time his enthusiasms
had cost him a leg, due to neglecting
diabetes; and then not so long
after, he was dead. Too bad, and
isn't everything always?
-
Instead of living on 87th street,which
is where I knew him and visited, he
ended up in Hancock, NY, living with
some half-famed Korean artist lady.
Name forgot right now, but I did
say half-famed. I'd never met or
known her at all. His wife, back
when I knew them, was a really
lively Filipino girl, maybe half so
anyway, named Juanita. She
worked in some artist capacity
down at PBS, Channel 13, when
they were near Columbus Circle.
I don't know where Juanita ended
up, nor do I even know if PBS is
still in that location. I guess all that
was some early stage of veneration
forming too. Have to be so careful.
-
Everywhere I went, there was so
much to like, and so much to dislike.

As with learning to read some weird,
cuneiform language of the ancients,
each thing was a symbol of ten other
things, all to be taken in at once  -  
unlike English, which was by contrast
so fairly practical, one word and idea,
in a row, at a time, singularly strung.

No comments: