Thursday, October 3, 2019

12,162. MY ERRANT WAYS

MY ERRANT WAYS
I think I first went bad the day
I put that guy's hand in the juicer.
Ouch? Do you remember that?
The little rooming house in
Cleveland where we stayed, for
sure it wasn't much, but just down
the street, Dyckman's Bar & Grille,
that guy had it coming.  I told him
I'd turn his hand to rubber without
bones, but he wouldn't listen. That
was the end of that night out.
-
Then I sinned in that saddle with
Mary Forge Mellie. That at least was
fun  -  I can't remember where you
were, but when we talked about it
later all I could remember was
how much Mary enjoyed herself.
I've always liked girls who can do
it with a smile and some laughter.
-
Later, the strange guy with the chalkboard
face  -  maybe you remember him  -  he'd
faked his ID from some census board and
wore it on a lanyard around his neck.
Going from house to house, knocking
on doors, checking on places while he
talked, and then stealing what he could.
The police finally caught him, and that
was good; the whole neighborhood
area sighed relief. I never told you,
and I never got caught, but I was
acting all along as his fence.


No comments: