Friday, October 4, 2019

12,163. RUDIMENTS, pt. 828

RUDIMENTS, pt. 828
(nothing just 'happens')
One year I showed in the
NY Studio School Alumni
Show. I can't remember,
stupidly, what year it was;
early 90's? I'd never before
even entertained the thought,
but that year, when the mailer
came to me with the entry form
and all that, I filled it out and
went willingly. I remember
computers were new, for me,
and I wasn't even sure how to
properly show the images,
all that 'jpg' stuff or whatever
it was. I wasn't even sure what
I felt right about submitting
but I finally did choose one;
fairly uncharacteristic for me.
There had always been a certain
'Studio School' style, and this
was not it. Nonetheless, I
braved on and they accepted!
then I had to do the rest  - 
wire it for hanging, decide
for framing (or not), even
an asking price, if desired.
I titled it, did all the things
needed, and one day just
strolled in to there and
dropped it off. Like a pro,
as if to say, 'Oh, yes, this
sort of thing goes on all
the time with me, dropping
paintings off for exhibit.
Ho-hum; I'm so jaded.'
It was, in its own way, quite
funny  -  as were they and
their reactions within the
school office  -  accepting
paintings, a few questions 
each, how to hang, storage, 
to arrange pickup, etc. And,
then, so typical of me, the
opening night occurred, the
usual cocktails and finger food,
again, and I chickened out.
The entire duration of the show,
maybe a three-week hang, I
managed to slip in one day,
just to see where I was hanging,
among what others, etc. And I
went right back out. All was
good, I was pleased. My own
personal reticence, however,
 had killed the whole thing for
me. After the conclusion of
the show, some time later, I
strolled in and picked it all
up. Not a word was said.
-
It all got me to thinking about
exposure, procedure, the ways
and means of getting one's name
about, etc. I realized I  was nowhere
bound; the good ship Lollipop?
When Woody Guthrie wrote and
entitled his book 'Bound For
Glory,' he sure had one way up
on me. I could hardly talk to those
people; everything was always
in character, part of plan, in line
with the expected outlook. How
in the world was anyone to break 
away when caught up young in
any of that. I thought I'd just
left all of it, and was determined
to keep it that way. Vainglory is
as vainglory does. That was never
a saying, no, but it could have
worked as one. Actually, I knew
I was missing the old times I'd
never lived; I was off by probably
three or four decades. Everything
in what was around me then, in
1967, was pomp and froth. I
just couldn't make it work. I
wanted desperately to find the
rock or the doorway where,
behind, or under, 1924 was. It
seemed a much better time for 
me to enter. There were currents
and things on then that bore
a far finer fidelity to my own 
ways and thinking. The streets
and buildings, the languages and
odors, were still more raw and 
stronger; definitions were up for
grabs. I was stuck, fairly so,
in a time not of my making, nor
of my inclination  -  motorcars
over streets, rents and rules,
regulations everywhere, lights
and whimsy. I so badly wanted
the old. I think it was at the
time, facing that crossing, that
I really did become very strange
and aloof. Segmented in my
alliances, I went about seeking
entry to places that no longer
existed. It was the sort of
decision old wise men made,
ancient seers, shamans and
shape-shifters. I'd tapped into
some real feel.
-
My friends and those around me
knew nothing of this. To them
I think I came across as just a
young kid with a foot in two or
more worlds, not yet sure of
himself or of the worlds. It
wasn't bitter, but it wasn't
sweet either  -  and, oddly
enough, 'bittersweet' didn't
work either. More than 
anything else, sunrise to 
sunset, day after day, I
was 'displaced.' And as sad
as it is, there's also a hell of
a lot of freedom in being
displaced. I think those pop
jerks trying saying something
like that with 'When you ain't
got nothin', you got nothin'
to lose,' As ungracious as it
all may have sounded.
-
And then I got sick;  I mean
really sick  -  exposure, lousy
food, deprivation, cold, bacteria,
whatever. You can probably name
a hundred things. I just collapsed,
like you see dead people do. I
was living, as I've gone over
in these chapters numerous
times, right then in the 
basement of the Studio School,
a sort of nice, half apartment,
studio-sized, and workshop
which they'd extended to me
for being there as a sort of
night watchman guy. Sixteen
bucks a week, keeping on eye
on things, making sure doors 
were closed and locked, no 
one lurking, etc. I had made
myself a little wooden sleeping
platform in the fire part of an
old fireplace in the room, and
that's where I stayed, probably for
a day or two, sick  -  no one really
even checked. When someone 
did, they were aghast, calling in
help and treatment. I did recover
but probably lost 20 pounds
more  -  resembling a skeleton.
It was still a long dead Winter.
But I made it through. It was
part of what made it all so
amazing, those 20 years later,
to find myself in the Alumni
Show. A truly retrograde element
of regression to not much, but
something. Heck, I impressed
myself if no one else.
-
Magical thinking will tell you that
things just happen : the big break,
the lucky situation, the great
timing. It's not true at all.
Lighting never strikes, and
if it does, it hits a tree. All
things need to be worked at,
arranged for, and put in place
by sequence. It's just the nature
of life. When you hear differently,
that something happened by
grace, or felicity, serendipitously  -
don't believe it. It's all part
of the machine that made what
happened happen. Even if they
say differently. I refused
to enter the machine.




No comments: