Tuesday, October 8, 2019

12,177. YOU SHOULD

YOU SHOULD
Just another course of nothing
in a manufactured meal. People
talking to me, closer than I feel.
At me, says it better. 'You should,
you should, you know, go away,
where no one knows your name
or face.' I reply, feebly, I've done
that once already but it doesn't 
always work. Back in those days
I had to wear two sets of socks to
keep my feet warm, and a jacket
too, in which I slept. Otherwise, it
was bonkers for me; so cold my
brain rattled and froze. I don't
want all that again.' So we just
sat there waiting, and the waiter
brought another tray. I felt like
I was in a song  -  that old one
about vestal virgins, and skipping
the live fandango. Sounded like a
raw course in some crazy-ass
restaurant to me. But I let it all
go and wound up dropping the
spoon that was in my tea. 'Headed
for trouble,' one of us said. I'm
not sure it was me.

No comments: