Saturday, October 19, 2019

12,209. RUDIMENTS, pt. 843

RUDIMENTS, pt. 843
(a useful distinction)
By late 1967 there were only
a few - or a very dwindling
number - of horse-cart vendor
guys around. The area where they
were stabled, the horses fed, carts
tended, re-loaded, cleaned, etc.,
along the w20's mostly, and up
into maybe the 40's, along the
westside areas, is gone now.
Much of it having become either
art galleries or some/any other
sort of glamor-row usage. The
tourists primp and chomp,
the aimless young beggars
beg. It's nothing at all now
like the old days  -  or my old
days anyway. (Which of course
were not old days for those
people then, who already had
their own and deeper versions
of old days and what-was-there).
During my passage there, I was
still able to find day-chores,
make a few paltry bucks, help
out, and become acquainted
with a world I'd never known.
Old men, working guys, a very
occasional woman -  females
usually deep, harsh, and rugged,
or any of that  -  they'd be around
sluggishly doing their work.
Water-pails, straw, hay, horse-feed,
more buckets, hoses, charcoal
(many of the carts, chestnut, for
instance, had small warming-tray
fires always going and there
was always work to be done.
Same with the pretzel carts).
It was a different time and
feel when all of that was slowly
transported around the city by
the clop-clop of horse-hooves on
cobblestones  -  it also meant the
horses needing tending, matting
and brushing; blankets, bridles,
etc. Here and there would be,
in fact, an occasional blacksmith
garage  -  for shoes and other
horse-trims. It was a wildly
different world, and one with
its own version of a unique,
working, silence and quiet.
I kind of fit right in.
-
I never knew what sort of world
it really was, the one outside of
me  -  I couldn't stand the taste.
People were always enigmatic to
me even as they apparently thought
they were at their most clear and
forthcoming. It seemed to me as
if no one ever asked 'why?' about
anything. I'd see well-dressed and
highly appointed financial types,
down along Nassau Street and that
area  -  lots of stockbroker clothing
and shoes joints. The people I'd see
were already well-dressed and onto
it for keeps, yet they were always
shopping, seeking, hunting about,
for more. Why was that? Whatever
was that all about? Did no one
know when enough was enough, the
point reached, any 'need' fulfilled?
At about the same time, everywhere,
there was always some 'starving
kids in Biafra' campaign, with
posters of pathetic, wide-eyed
children affected by some gross
African internecine tribal warfare,
hungry, crying for food and for
assistance, and these shits would
stroll right by, oblivious, and on
their way to possibly purchase
their 14th pair of freaking shoes.
A wing-tipped Paradise, they
lived in, but filled with ignorance
and pride. It made me sick enough
to wonder, and  -  to tell you the
truth  -  I always thought it
wouldn't be such a bad idea to
have penal colonies for jerks
like that. Screw their IPO's.
-
Perhaps for a time I was a sort
of madman in the city. I don't
know and  -  frankly  -  I don't
remember ALL of it. Something
other then me had me in its grasp;
formulating, planning itself,
through me. Jean Paul Sartre
had a concept of 'the Other' that
made some sense to me. It went
as if 'consciousness outside the
self' is crucial to our formation
of a full sense of selfhood. In
a way, it means you don't want
to ever fall under the spell of
another, lest you then become
subject to that 'other person's'
interpretation. Of course, now
that's all we do, and, in fact,
that's pretty much probably
all we as Humankind has
ever done. I'm sure that the
early caveman, Rocky
Chiselman, while making
stone tools and banging rocks,
making round things, and
figuring out what fire was,
had a constant awareness
that others were both
watching and judging him.
Not much to be done about
that. Yet, these westside horse
and stable guys were different.
I just don't think they had much
to say nor even cared much
about finding things to say. You
were on your own; that's how they
lived it. Barrel fires and the charcoal
trays kind of went together, and,
in all, it was like a Kennedyesque
perpetual (or 'eternal') flame;
of course in 1967 that was still
a current idea, though it means
little to people now. The idea
of an eternal flame was crazy
anyway and how any real American
could acclimatize that idea over a
dead President, I never got. It was
more of an Eastern European kind
of thinking  - heavy and weird
reverence for a 'dead' leader. Not
even a fallen one, just dead. The
only real 'Nobility' about it was the
constant public push and presence
of it all. It wasn't right, yet it rode
hard on everyone's shoulders for
lots of years. Americans didn't do
that sort of stuff, even if it had
hit a stride alike, for a moment,
back when Lincoln went down.
But I considered that different,
more in this horse and wagon
mode I was living.
-
A person can't live their entire
lives in a quiet, dead morgue,
and of course I knew that. Yet,
at the very same time, I reveled
in this new little find I'd gotten.
Winter was setting in, which meant
more delicious odors than usual  -
the carts and the goods and the
little fires and the horses, and 
everything with that slow and
strange onrush of 'Holiday' that
NYC undergoes each November.
It may be a professed secular and
irreligious place, but Commerce
is its God in another way entirely
and they sure do lap up at the
golden honey of all that. The
Winter entry of foodstuffs  -  it
changes, yes, by season though
the only constant is hot dogs. 
The Winter format runs, as I made
mention, to chestnuts and those
large, browned, soft pretzels, 
which are nicely kept warm. 
Now they're about 2 bucks or 
so I (I think), but back then
they were had for maybe 30 
cents. All the same, and no one
ever balked. The endless touristy
types from Idaho, seeking the
comfort of Christmas and all that
seasonal 'holiday-fication,' sure
got it, and ate up a walking storm.
I used to say they'd probably buy
pin-cushions, unknowingly, if
you warmed them and said it was
a NY delicacy at Christmas.
-
The Turkish language, I learned
(from reading Orhan Pamuk, an
author) has a separate tense for
hearsay and rumor. That ought to be
enough to stop someone dead in their
tracks (or so I'm told) [Ha! That's an
English version of that tense!]. In
any case, what a remarkable idea, and
I wondered if other languages also have
that. And why? For home-side English
here, for instance, in politics let's say,
three-quarters of all their bullshit is
just that, so I guess newspapers would
have to be written all in that tense.
He phrases it more delicately: "In
Turkish we have a special tense
that allows us to distinguish
hearsay from what we have seen 
with our own eyes; when we are
relating dreams, fairy tales, or
past events we could not have 
witnessed, we use this tense.
It is a useful distinction.'
-
And well it may be, though for me
everything was present tense and
active voice, and I had no two ways
around that. I was stuck knee-deep
in the middle of it all, willingly. 
Learning to love it may have been 
the most difficult part; but even
that was easy  -  and I somehow
knew I'd never be laid low by
by anything except myself.




No comments: