Saturday, October 5, 2019

12,165. RUDIMENTS, pt. 829

RUDIMENTS, pt. 829
(the slam-dunk of normal stupidity)
Paul Goodman once said,
'I am an anarchist, and a
patriot; a curious kind of
thing.' I always liked that
and thought it pretty cool.
When you're a certain age,
it seems you're always on
the verge of 'becoming'
something. At 18 everyone's
already their own legend.
Mine kept changing, and
it was always quotes like
that which steered me. I'd
find something, I'd like it,
take the words to heart, and
start running with that  -  for
a while. It never much lasted.
Everything seemed always
to disprove itself. I guess
that's why I stayed with the
writer thing  -  words kept
coming, things I wanted to
say, and I also kept finding
more things to remember.
'The awareness of self does
not have fixed boundaries.'
-
At one level I never knew
what any of this stuff meant.
But I found quickly that writing,
and what others call 'poetry,'
afforded me a way off changing
things. I lunged to it. I'd
often sought to be a type
of mentalist  -  one who can
'influence' events by thought.
I found writing to be even
better, in that I could influence
others at a dual-level  -  both
by their thoughts and by their
their actions together, both.
I was hooked. It was always
by little, puny, things that I'd
be most effected : Robert Frost,
writing of a cellar hole 'closing
like a dent in dough.' I simply
re-wrote the entire world that
was around me until it pleased
me in my way  - recreated and
tougher. I can't stand weak
slouches and blubbering people
stuck in a trance. That's why
there are bowling alleys, and
lines at Carvel. Anywhere that
enigmatics gather, they blur
the lines of meaning; they
blur the lines of the enterprise
they're professing. It's another
version of politics, that same
old sham catcall of things never
being what they are said to be.
It's all called lying, and I was
most certain to steer my way
clear of all that. Everything
else, anyone else could have.
I was done. Filled with my own
hatreds  -  of process and
procedure and following the
rules and regulations dictated
at me. Like the short-haired
pimple-necked half men at
the draft office, a laughing
pygmy always finds something
to stop the laughter in others.
-
The sociology of self is not
knowledge, although that's what
the schools and groups around
me purported to advance. It was
all another version of 'nothingness.'
Mr. Heidegger, Mr. Sartre, I've
got the Being; I don't want the
nothingness. As I went through
a lot of things in life, I realized,
about life, that actually there's
too much of it. That was one of
the problems most people missed.
There's just too much. For a year
or two, years later, at Princeton,
that daily commute took me, early
morning hours, to the campus
jitney bus. Because of the early
morning, cold, instead of walking
I'd often enough take the campus
bus. From the train station it
was wall easy, and warm. The
bus, at that early hour most
often had the same 6 or 8 people
boarding, plus me. After awhile
I became a fixture  -  not a friend,
but good enough for a nod, good
morning, etc. There were service
staff people  -  not students, not
professors. They'd go on about all
sorts of things, to each other. It
all was a perfect example of
there being 'too much' of life  -
I'd end up overhearing all types
of over-lapping conversations;
what people had eaten, where
they'd been shopping, what
movie or TV show they'd seen,
what they were doing at their
 job, how their kids were,
and all the rest of that
vaulting zoom of what
life is. Way too much of
everything, and always. One
woman, about maybe 35, with
two kids, never failed snuggling
up close to this guy (they were
have a torrid affair, and weren't
shy about it) would go on
about the weekend, her kids,
and even her husband -  showing
photos, family junk, and all
in spite of fooling with this
other guy, openly. They would
go on, each morning, and it was
pretty pathetic to me. They would 
just go on. Mostly it was her, but
he'd throw in his share too  -  a big,
tall, shy kind of guy, Polish maybe,
or Russian. Probably 6' 4', with
huge hands and a smirk. One day
someone said something about
his size, and she said, 'Oh no! The
bigger the better!'
-
I used to walk the campus, just
thinking abut the illusion of it all.
Like NYC, it was all illusion.
Behind all those doors and entries
were the most ordinary of scenes;
people who were striving, who had 
their own families, struggling
through whatever, a silent workforce
of people serving the remnants,
quickly fading, of maybe what once
used to be an American elite but was
not really that any more. Any of those
stories were old and gone. The only
real 'Princeton' people who showed
up nationally now were usually people
found out  -  the crooks and criminals 
of the finance world, the usual oafs
and lackeys of monied scams and
striving, intellectual contractors
maybe, but contractors nonetheless.
And of course the endless political
types, think-tankers, and even political
wives, then. That was mostly all it
ever came down to  -  the slam dunk
of normal stupidity. When your nose
is sniffing up the butt of 'success.'
all good things need fall aside.

No comments: