Wednesday, October 23, 2019

12,220. RUDIMENTS, pt. 846

RUDIMENTS, pt. 846
(just another brief corridor)
Everywhere was a vestige 
of somewhere else. It took
me a long time to figure that
out. Nothing exists alone. All
the things I was seeing each
had something attached to 
them  -  by way of a history 
or an explanation, and I was
in the midst of it all. None of
it was anything I could explain
to anyone because they were
all in their own, same, situation.
I suppose, at one reach, it's a
solipsism to the 'nth degree,
but that's not it really. The 
way it came to me was that 
we formed physical matter,
and not the other way around.
All things are always forming,
buzzing around, idea and ethos
in the air together and certain
people can catch that air, and
read the moment. Everyone's
different, but it's not for nothing
that things happen in clutches.
It's that 'moment' of introduction
into our reality. It's no coincidence
that about 3 guys all invented
the telephone and about the 
same time; or illumination, 
electric light, and all that  - 
even autocars. It's a grouped
energy field, and certain people
grab it. I do it myself, but with
words. For any of those inventor
guys, it just came down to who
got there the fastest  -  the race for
the patent office, the most-clear 
result, the best-explained 
experiments. Tesla, Bell, Fulton,
Edison, Whitney, all those
things  -  cotton mills, steam
boats, canals, and the rest. 
-
Once all this began its filtering
into me, I knew I was ready to 
hum. My world was unfolding
right around me; taking shape,
and I was just the gatekeeper.
Uptown, at like 110th street, the
Riverside Church had this grand
bell tower. I don't know the deal
now, with security and terror and
all that crap, but it used to be
that anyone could just walk up
there  -  internal stairway, up the
tower, gridwork, internals. All
along the way up you'd see more
and more of the gridwork for the
bells  -  huge, crazy, gigantic
steel supports, arc'd glider steel,
for the bells to swing on, and these
monstrous bells, various-sized.
I went up there lots of times,
and took others too. (I always
wished to take my father up there;
he would have loved it  -  but it
never worked out, and then he
was dead). It was dark and shady,
yes, but there were lookouts and
vistas, and places for light to come
in. Neither was it really 'ancient'
looking at all  -  nothing like those
Gothic or Rococo or brutally
grandiose cathedrals of Europe.
I'd climb, basking in all that,
and at the appointed times the
bells would begin. A person
could just stand there, maybe 
60 feet off, and watch the
mechanism, hear the sounds.
It was almost as if you could
also watch the sounds and hear
the mechanism, for that was how
vivid the entirety of it was. Peals
and clangs, the strain of the metal,
the resonating, echoing, double
sounds. I really loved it and could
never figure out why there weren't 
crowds; but having this to myself
was awesome too.
-
I used to stand there and wonder
about it all  -  whoever first came
up with this density of rotating
bells and clangers, let along the
timers and amplification and
mechanics  -  how and even why
did it all occur? Reverence for
something unseen. Or just, like
so many of these other things,
an unseen hand, the unseen push,
the forced anxiety that brought
all this forth. 'The object is the
thought materialized'? Well, 
maybe, though that's a hard 
stone to just wildly throw. 'The
entity is the basic self, immortal
and non-physical'? Getting
closer. Some things arise in
another realm and occur there, 
where there are  rules covering
it  -  like resurrection or rebirth  -
and because that's all outside
of the rules of this reality, they
originate there, tun into the
realized thought here, and
emerge into History as an idea,
never actually 'happening' here.
An occurrence; something that 
didn't really happen, but did 
too. All of that human duality
within one overlapping life  -  
it all just spins around. Face 
it, no one knows how this 
'bell' thing got started, ever, 
anywhere, even in the most
feudal times, village centers 
and central squares  -  born
and borne as Faith, Belief,
and Morality. Life's just too
weird, really, and complacency
kills.
-
So, all I ended up doing is
inconsequential human things.
I've listed lots of this before,
but it all involved translating
what I saw into something
useful. Because much of what
was around me, I realized soon 
enough, was useless. Everything
had other meanings. All things,
to the uninitiate, were hidden.
It was like a secret cabal, of
hidden languages and what are
called 'shibboleths.' (Why they're
called that I never know). My
jazz-loft friends had their own
reality, and it all made perfect
sense to them, while to me, I
had to read it very hard. the
art-people I spent my time with
at the Studio School, they all
had a real good grasp of the 
previous, of all that went before,
about Art, and could talk their
way out of a flaming fire with 
it. They had a different feel than
I did  -  I'd probably, by contrast,
get badly burned. A lot of things
I knew about were gone. I knew
their locations, and spaces, and
places, and what replaced them.
And I built off of that  -  the
Cedar Bar, the old Stewart's
Department Store, Pfaff's, 
the Whitneys and Vanderbilts.
The Northern Dispensary.
Hundreds of other things too. 
It all still existed, somewhere,
and I was fresh and able to
tap into it, and bring it back  -
some pervading echoes 
anyway, things and hunches 
that made sense to me but
weren't really there. St. Paul,
we're told, said something
like 'I am in the world, but 
not of it.' I could walk down
the 1967 street and say 'I am
on this street, but not of it,'
in much the same way. My 
portals and passages were
making weird lefts and rights,
all around me. Everything was
happening on another realm.
-
People sometimes say to me 
now, 'what are you about? 
Why do you look the way 
you look? Why are you 
doing all this?' I don't really
have a reply  -  as if I cared  -
but to me it's all testifying.
I'm manifesting, and testifying
by that, for where I really life,
and for the things I really believe.
This is just kind of my journal.
One day it hits me one way, and
another day it hits me a different
way, gives me different things to 
say, walks me through and down
and into, yet another brief corridor. 
'I go, though the way be wild,'
was the way, I think, Linus
used to put it. Charlie Brown
never caught on.

No comments: