Friday, April 27, 2018

10,769. RUDIMENTS, pt. 298

RUDIMENTS, pt. 298
Making Cars
I was always up for learning,
and I went right for the gut  - 
not too much other stuff ever
got in the way of what I was
seeking to do. I even went
to the extreme of, partially,
going to the seminary just
to get away from all the
rest of the mess and be
able to concentrate on
what it was I was doing.
Seeking solace and privacy,
as it were.  I've been asked
a hundred times, why did
I ever do that, go there,
what was I thinking, how'd
I get mixed up in that church
stuff, so young, was it my
idea? The answer to all of
it is yeah, yeah, yeah, and
yeah. I wasn't a dummy
about this, I kind of knew
exactly what I was doing.
For all I knew every
twelve-year old kid in
the world wanted to be
doing what I was doing.
Getting away to think
was a fact of my life.
I had had it up to here
(imagine my hand at
my chin, I guess) with
everything  -  Bozo the
 Clown and the Three
Stooges to the NASA
astronauts and all the
hooey about their unity
and patriotism. It looked
like it was was all disguised
as propaganda for pushing
group-effort to me. Way before
it took a village it took a
moron. I was reading, and
what I was reading made
me a better, thinking person.
Blake, Sartre, old ancients,
new hipster writers, urban
philosophers, worker priests,
rabble-rousers and revolutionaries
too. I didn't care. (Not to get
too haughty about it, you ought 
to know that, by 1971, one
of my favorite books was The
Happy Hooker, by Xaviera
Hollander  -  and it wasn't 
about knitting, and it wasn't 
so high-brow either). No one 
hardly even knows of Picasso 
now, but in the early '60's he 
was like the end-all and the 
be-all of painterly internationalism;
and Salvador Dali too. Whatever 
their worth now, and its faded 
a lot since those days, they 
stood out as media-creations 
of what the 'Artist' then 
currently was held to be. 
If nothing else, a madman,
apt to be leap-crazy at any time. 
Internationalists like that 
were OK, I dug all that, 
but I esteemed even more 
the lay-of-the-land guys 
all around me. The American 
iconoclasts, the bastards 
ripping the nation apart 
through their bohemianism, 
hedonism, negativity, and 
bliss. That's where I was
 headed  -  angel-headed 
hipsters get ready.
-
When I first got to 
New York City, in this 
vein, the entire first year  
-  that cold, cold Winter 
of  1967/'68  -  there was 
a Hudson Hornet that sat
at the curb on Fifth Ave., 
by 10th Street. There are 
two churches right there, 
big-time, old NY. Fifth 
Avenue Presbyterian, and 
also the Church of the 
Transfiguration. They 
each try to outdo each 
other in how famed they 
are  -  both have been there 
a long time and still represent 
a certain glamour of an older 
time and space that once was 
New York City. But anyway, 
this car just sat there, all 
the time. Never ticketed, 
never used, never anything. 
I'd see it nearly every day, 
and it always bolstered 
my invisible and strengthening 
solid faith in the unknown 
qualities of the creative life 
 -  I'd figure it was just sitting 
there, again, waiting for Sal  
Paradise and Dean Moriarity 
to once again start it up and 
dash straight-off madly west. 
The fact that it never moved
soon had me convinced it
was awaiting me too.
-
It struck me as funny that 
anyone would write a book 
using as a main character 
someone named 'Sal Paradise.' 
It seemed so obvious . But it 
stuck and seemed to work. 
I remember watching him 
somewhere  -  Kerouac  -  
I guess at home, younger (me)
by far, on the old Steve Allen 
show. It was an early, early 
attempt at hip-interview-format 
presentation, and Kerouac was 
a wreck and Allen himself 
was dutifully off-key; missing 
the point but trying to do it 
in an oh-so-cool fashion 
and manner, something 
befitting beatniks and Village 
hipsters. It was after that by 
a little bit that I realized I 
was out of place everywhere 
and that nothing really had 
any authentic value and the 
only people really throwing 
any spears that counted were 
this intransigent outsiders 
running the fringes of what 
I knew. And I knew I wanted 
to be there and have that. 
Little caring for anything 
else, I used to dream of 
the girl I'd get for my 
very own. I had two 
other idiot friends, 
believe it or not, who'd 
sit around talking checklists 
of what their dream girl 
would have to like and 
accept, for marriage  - one 
of them actually said she'd 
have to like 'paneling.' I said, 
'Say that shit again? Did you 
say Paneling? What in the 
wrong is world with you?' 
That's a true story, I didn't
just make that up  -  the rest 
of it was not much better, 
running the gamut from, 
like, pipe-smoking to 
having a bar in the basement, 
to double garages and cars
and motorcycles. Just 
crazy stuff.
-
One of those guys is dead 
now. The other one had done
a few stints on Vietnam, as a
Medic  -  and he had plenty of
tales to relate, and did so. The
Montagnards, hill people who
made some sort of amulet jewelry
and traded for other things with 
it. He'd brought a number of
pieces back with him and each
piece had a story. The funny 
thing was  - and I've noticed this
a few times with these veteran 
guys  -  he came back just fine,
all interesting and happy and
a regular guy getting right back 
into the swing of things (except
maybe for his weird fixation on 
paneling). It wasn't until later  -
and a pretty long time later too  - 
that these veterans-counseling 
groups and government health
clinics and people got hold of him,
that everything darkened and got 
wrecked. I've noticed that a few 
times, as I said, and it's always 
a damned shame how (we) let 
that happen. Not that I ever let
it happen (I hate the bastards),
but more how we as'society' 
have adapted the stance that .you 
must-needs be miserable, stricken
and morose over the battle-time 
we've enforced upon you.' And 
then everyone falls for all that
and goes along with it, and
does become morose and 
dependant and battle-scarred.
Government-made cripples, if
you ask me. And you know why?
Because government-doctors and
clinic people and rehab-people
and counselors and the rest, hell
even morticians and funeral-
directors, all make money off 
it once they get onto the 
Government gravy-train of 
payment for treatment. It's a
scam, and it's a scam that's no
different than war is a scam.
Ali I ever knew, from my time,
was that Sal Paradise and Dean
Moriarity, they'd have had 
none of it. They'd have 
whooped and hollered, and 
set off west in that curbside 
Hudson Hornet, just waiting.
And with me in the 
back seat too.





No comments: