Monday, April 16, 2018

10,735. RUDIMENTS, pt. 287

RUDIMENTS, pt. 287
Making Cars
Remember how previously I
said that nothing of note, worthy
or startling ever came out of
Avenel. Here are two things I
thought up but never have
implemented. Unlike Thomas
Edison, nearby say, in what is
now Menlo Park : He used to
take, in a rocking chair at his
workspace, what he called
'power naps'  -  at any time.
He claimed they empowered
him to finish or conclude a
thought or an idea that had
struck him, or  - as he put it  -
which the spirits had sent
but not finished. Hence the
power nap, for the inspiration
to finish coming through. He
called them 'bucket-trick naps.'
He would fall asleep with a
pail on the floor, below the
 spot where his arm was. He'd
nod off holding a stone. Once
he'd gotten into that short, light
mode of sleep, that 'zone' of odd
ideas, dreamlike, he did not
want to sleep deeper or longer.
As his body relaxed, the stone
would fall, straight down, into
the noisy, empty bucket, and
awaken him. Presto! He had it!
The solution was at hand!
-
For myself, I want to institue
interactive gravestones. The
cemeteries right now are filled
with mute slabs, nothing going
on after reading the, mostly lame,
inscriptions. On my 'new' ones,
interactive, a scan or whatever, would
allow the visitor, or the cemetery
stroller, to hear the last life-message
of the deceased. Known or unknown,
it doesn't matter  -  it would be a rich
heritage to tap. Each person's view
and concluded wrap-up of their life.
History in a million ways. I'm
in graveyards often  -  gypsy,
artist and writer, etc.  -  and would
love to be able to tap into that.
Hundreds of different, personal,
time capsule memories of a life
lived and gone by. People would
stroll cemeteries for knowledge
and learning: "I really used to love
taking my little Toyota down to
Woolworth's when it was still there;
we used to buy fabric by the yard;
I always wanted to see England,
and in 1971 finally got the chance.
It was wonderful. The Queen then
was not yet to her Jubilee year; we
visited the palace and saw the guards."
Or, "I got out of the Army in '46,
with a lame leg. It took shrapnel at
Okinowa, and pretty much ruined
the hopes I had for baseball. I had
been pretty good; The wife and I
moved to Rahway in 1952, to a
small house we got for 2100 bucks.
I worked at Merck for a long time.
My two sons went to college in the
early 60's, and then I took sick. But
I gave my boat -  which I'd loved  -
to both of them, if they promised
to share it equally." Or writer-people
reading something they'd done or
wanted memorialized; oddball
personal confessions or observations;
family stories, or whatever. With
resource rooms, writing and study
tables, listening posts, etc. It could
be a cool thing.
-
Another one is  -  my wife always
likes cooking and preparing. I hate
all that and don't even much care
about food; finding it mostly
unnecessary and repulsive and
over-rated too. She makes some
quality stuff, but it's all wasted
on me. I wanted to open a sort
of restaurant, called  'Kenton's
Edge' (no reason, I just dreamed
a name up), a small, informal
place, open all and any of the
times she wants it to be  -  cooking,
preparing, serving, etc. The stuff
she really likes doing. Maybe
friends in to play live music a bit,
with or readings, small events. But
the thing would be, at the entrance,
a posted sign, changing each
week or month, whatever, saying
'This week/month cost us, so far,
$1700.' Then a list of supplies
gone through, stuff  bought, and
a list of money that came in from
meals and sales. All above-board
and out in the open. Anybody
who wished to 'buy in' to whatever
reported 'profit' (or 'loss) that is
reached every six months, after
maybe 12 or 15% for her as buyer,
owner/proprietor, would be able
to do so, adding whatever buy-in
amount is determined, and every
six months a distribution of 6 or 7
percent goes out, as a dividend,
to those people. It's a totally
idealistic idea, covering only
some stupid Utopian thinking,
but it's a cool idea and I would
have liked undertaking it. Sure
beats some of the crap I
see around here.
-
I always figured that without
knowledge, without an ideology,
things get pretty stupid. Like the
Golden Age of the Greeks or
something, a small society
premised on ideals and goals,
with points of science and learning,
wisdom, literacy, and ideals, takes
on a 'higher' level, immediately.
Using as a for instance, I can
parallel 'Avenel'  -  or any other
crap-town  -  Woodbridge, Perth
Amboy, Carteret, anything right
around here, as total negative holes
in the advancement of Mankind.
These are just 'places', no better
much than holding pens for dogs.
Use any little sham town, it doesn't
have to be these. Paterson or
Poughkeepsie will do. They aren't
run with any sort of enlightened
configuration, just instead by
assholes and crooks, low-level,
mid-managers who probably
have trouble with pencils and
sentences. (Not that they
themselves shouldn't have a
'sentence.') - it's just that
their blind and unending
stupidity sucks the light
right out of the very places
themselves. There's no getting
to them because, as the
unenlightened dumb-shits
that they are, they talk only to
each other, with total fantasy
lines. At least I talk to myself;
I don't think they can ever
face themselves.
-
That's only one ample vestige
of the sorts of differences that
arise between places that have
'Life' and the other dead,
ship-bottoms where people
with no resources live. Kids
leave these places, for colleges
or whatever, if they do, and
return in a few years simply
realizing there's no communication.
No meshing. So they leave again
and take up a residence in a
more reasoned atmosphere
better 'fitting their new level.
That's how it all stagnates.
That's how you get endless
lines of lumber yards, roads,
sub-divisions, and warehouses.
It's all based on the lies that are
promulgated by the people so
willing to lie as they live and
breath. Without an inherent
philosophy, life is nothing.
-
At the Studio School I was
able to go back any number
of years that I chose, and there 
was always something there : 
the vast, working, and treasured
archive that was New York City
itself : I had every step along the
way of art and literary history
from which to feed myself. Pfaff's,
where I could sit below ground 
and talk and mingle with Walt 
Whitman at Broadway and 
Bleecker; I had the Golden 
Swan, and the playhouse
nearby  -  O'Neil and all 
those marvelous people.
Chumley's; Poe; both Hart
and Stephen Crane! At all
times! That's a world of
difference, and to me it
meant the world.


No comments: